Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo - Speech recognition for searching music?

Options
  • 06-08-2010 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Got Froyo yesterday. It's great - apart from the things I knew the update would contain it also contains the voice recognition functionality and it works very well. I'd have upgraded for this alone.

For example, in the Naviagtion app you just say the address and BAM. In the google search widget you say "call [franko] mobile" and BAM. It's great stuff altogether.

Now, in the settings for the search widget you can include "Music" so I thought I'd be able to say "play kings of leon" or something and BAM but no... it googles "play kings of leon" for me. I've searched google a bit for how to do this but to no avail. zillions of results but it's all generic stuff.

So, does anyone know if there's a way to play music with voice activation? Or are there any other cool tricks you can do with the voice stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

if you click the search button (short click - not long click as this fires up the voice search) and then menu it opens up a search settings and from there you can choose what it will search by default - I have selected almost all options except things like Google Sky maps as I don't want it to search the stars in the sky !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Yeah, that's what I meant i.e. you can include Music in the search settings but I can;t get it to actually find any of the music in there. Does it work for you?

ya it finds all kinds of stuff when I type the in search details - will pull up artist album song etc

Me too but not when I speak it.

actually it wont play songs when I do voice search either it will just find the details but wont play the song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Got Froyo yesterday. It's great - apart from the things I knew the update would contain it also contains the voice recognition functionality and it works very well. I'd have upgraded for this alone.

For example, in the Naviagtion app you just say the address and BAM. In the google search widget you say "call [franko] mobile" and BAM. It's great stuff altogether.

Now, in the settings for the search widget you can include "Music" so I thought I'd be able to say "play kings of leon" or something and BAM but no... it googles "play kings of leon" for me. I've searched google a bit for how to do this but to no avail. zillions of results but it's all generic stuff.

So, does anyone know if there's a way to play music with voice activation? Or are there any other cool tricks you can do with the voice stuff?
    I would imagine that many explosions is not good for your phone! :pac:

try Voice Actions for Android its just out in the market - thread about it going strong at the moment.
    Lots of server errors but pretty cool all the same. Still wont open up my music tracks but maybe that's on the way
    http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The voice action music search is to stream music from an online source.

Voice control over phone functionality is probably a bit away yet.

tui0hcg wrote: »
    try Voice Actions for Android its just out in the market - thread about it going strong at the moment.
    Lots of server errors but pretty cool all the same. Still wont open up my music tracks but maybe that's on the way

That is fúcking brilliant. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

The "listen" command will only stream the music from the net to your phone. I guess they need to add "play" command to activate the music player on your phone.

The upside is that by putting the app into the market rather than the ROM they can roll out updates to this service very easily. Can see this being done for other apps such as email, contacts etc.
    tui0hcg wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

elderlemon wrote: »
    The "listen" command will only stream the music from the net to your phone. I guess they need to add "play" command to activate the music player on your phone.

The upside is that by putting the app into the market rather than the ROM they can roll out updates to this service very easily. Can see this being done for other apps such as email, contacts etc.
    The only problem for us is removing the old applications so they can be installed.
    Just because adb is being a balls for me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

The app you may be looking for is Shazam.

I was trying to identify a song (didnt work for me unfortunately) that I was playing on the guitar - really cant remember the name of it.
    It worked well on random songs played on the radio, but unfortunately for me wouldnt pick it up from what I played myself.

Does that say something about my playing ?? :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    The app you may be looking for is Shazam.

I was trying to identify a song (didnt work for me unfortunately) that I was playing on the guitar - really cant remember the name of it.
    It worked well on random songs played on the radio, but unfortunately for me wouldnt pick it up from what I played myself.

Does that say something about my playing ?? :-P
    Nope.Not looking to identify music ( I use soundhound for it)
    Looking for the best music streaming app :)

Well if you were talking to me there anyway :pac:

Advertisement