Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4od / RTE Player on Desire

Options
  • 06-08-2010 1:53am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭

OK, since the upgrade to stock 2.2 last weekend I can get both of these to play, but not in a very useful form, so perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I am using the Dolphin HD browser, and when I go to play something on either of these, I cannot:

- Make it full screen
    - Control the volume like I can with normal media playback, the volume buttons only scroll the screen
    - Press any of the in flash controls like volume and full screen for instance
    - Zoom the flash part of the window, and have to do it in the non flash part of the page

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way of doing this? I have tried it on the stock browser as well, but no difference result there. RTE player page looks like an absolute dog as well even for general scrolling, although the 4od page is much better for that. It is probably not something I would use an awful lot on the phone, but I would like to have it an an option at least, but as it is, it is not too useful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I've only tried stock browser and yeah rte player is poor on the desire as the window doesnt fit to screen properly so you get scroll bars on the right and bottom of the page which you cannot operate. I'm pretty sure you can get fullscreen video but scrolling around and zooming to try and find the full-screen button is painfull and pretty much unusable becuase it is so slow. The video quality was poor with low framerate and the audio is out of sync, a streamlined, standalone app version of the rte player site would be great.

The 4oD page renders much better and you can zoom in so that you can push the full-screen button which works well in landscape mode. The audio does go out of sync near the half-way mark in a 30min show but slowly comes back into sync by the end. A nice feature for handheld devices is that the video will pick up where you left off if you close the browser and return to it later. Scanning through the video doesnt work either. Again, standalone app would be better.

Anyone have experience with BBC iPlayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I've only tried stock browser and yeah rte player is poor on the desire as the window doesnt fit to screen properly so you get scroll bars on the right and bottom of the page which you cannot operate. I'm pretty sure you can get fullscreen video but scrolling around and zooming to try and find the full-screen button is painfull and pretty much unusable becuase it is so slow. The video quality was poor with low framerate and the audio is out of sync, a streamlined, standalone app version of the rte player site would be great.

The 4oD page renders much better and you can zoom in so that you can push the full-screen button which works well in landscape mode. The audio does go out of sync near the half-way mark in a 30min show but slowly comes back into sync by the end. A nice feature for handheld devices is that the video will pick up where you left off if you close the browser and return to it later. Scanning through the video doesnt work either. Again, standalone app would be better.

Anyone have experience with BBC iPlayer?

If you long press the video the full screen button pops up in the top left corner of the video, and the video quality is flawless, even on 3G, more so on wireless. Dunno what you are doing wrong, but I have had no problems at all.

I was at the game in Croker on Sat and I watched the half time show on my phone on HSDPA while getting a beer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The issue that Im having on 4od is that it asks me to accept to view, if the content is suited for over 18s. The problem is that the video is over the accept button, so I cant actually view anything on it.

That's a handy tip for fullscreen, thanks. The playback is much smoother in this mode but I still have some problems. Can someone pls check the main page www.rte.ie/player and check if you are seeing the scroll bars as I cant scroll over to the right of the page to select the categories and most popular sections.

Also, the fullscreen mode seems to cut off a section at the bottom of the video in landscape orientation and portrait orientation doesnt work correctly for me. Anyone else seeing this? also, the page itself is very slow to scroll around compared to the 4oD one.

I hope these are just settings I need to change. I wish I could get screenshots but all the screenshot apps require root access which I cant be arsed doing yet.
    antodeco wrote: »
    The issue that Im having on 4od is that it asks me to accept to view, if the content is suited for over 18s. The problem is that the video is over the accept button, so I cant actually view anything on it.
    are you seelecting view now or view in popout player? The popout player opens a new window but the other view doesnt. works for me even if it takes a bit of effort to find the accept button

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

wicked I just tried rte player there works great in full screen mode :) the page is slow to scroll around and the vid refreshes itself everytime you stop scrolling making it slower. you'd always want it in full screen mode tho surely??

qs guys, how much data does this eat thourgh per min of video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

00sully wrote: »

qs guys, how much data does this eat thourgh per min of video?

Well as a rule of thumb, youtube is roughly 2-3mb per minute for video and audio, so I would imagine it is fairly similar.

Ok, I've discovered why my phone was struggling with Flash and it's a a real Android-n00b mistake (thankfully). I had only 25MB of free phone storage space! I pushed some apps to the SDcard and deleted a few others to free up 50MB and now the RTE page renders better and although the scroll bars are still there, they actually respond now.

The phone runs better in general now, pity I didnt know about that sooner, pretty obvious now, d'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Ok, I've discovered why my phone was struggling with Flash and it's a a real Android-n00b mistake (thankfully). I had only 25MB of free phone storage space! I pushed some apps to the SDcard and deleted a few others to free up 50MB and now the RTE page renders better and although the scroll bars are still there, they actually respond now.

The phone runs better in general now, pity I didnt know about that sooner, pretty obvious now, d'oh

I thought you could not put apps on the SD yet? You rooted?

You can with android 2.2 (froyo), released last week. I havent rooted mine yet

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

cheers jumbobreakfast, was having the same issue. Didn't think ROM space would affect how Flash would render... doesn't the phone have 576MB RAM??

• Advertisement

You do have 576MB of RAM but the Android OS uses that to keep apps, display etc running smoothly.RAM is much faster than the flash ROM but it loses data as soon as the device is turned off so it's not good for storing apps etc.

The 512MB of Flash* memory is used to store the Android OS and all the data for your apps. You only have about 100MB flash ROM free after installing Android so that's where the limitation comes in. Google have now fixed this by allowing apps to reside on the SDcard. Android 2.2 allows developers to design apps so that most of the app files can be moved to the SDcard.

*Flash as in "Flash Memory" (nothing to do with Flash websites) which is a type of memory used in USB memory sticks for example. Just to make it more confusing, your SDcard is flash memory too, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Haha cheers for the break-down (I'm actually a computer engineer :D)

What I meant was I thought 576megs of RAM was supposed to be sufficient for running Flash on top of the OS and apps etc. I didn't expect it to resort to using ROM space to run smoothly

Advertisement