Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odds on betting slip

Options
  • 05-08-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

If the odds displayed on the board in the bookies are written on the slip and accepted by the cashier can they refuse to pay out these odds later. EG 40-1 quoted on slip , bet is accepted, horse wins, when going to collect cashier says odds have changed since and only pays out at 22-1. This seems wrong to me and if it is what can you do if payout has been accepted as punter knew no different!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

It does seem wrong, but unfortunately if a price has changed then irregardless if the cashier accepted the price you wrote, then the new price will be given. The bookies I worked in had a computerised system which would tell you how long a price was changed, and if you put the old price in, would flag the bet and could end up getting the cashier in serious bother. I would have given about 30 secs on a price change to accept a bet (up to a minute depending if they were a regular or not). Afaik this is generally how it operates in all bookies, and they all should have a list of rules on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭seabre

Is the onus not on the bookies to display the correct prices or check that the price stands and time of placing the bet?

It does seem wrong, but unfortunately if a price has changed then irregardless if the cashier accepted the price you wrote, then the new price will be given. The bookies I worked in had a computerised system which would tell you how long a price was changed, and if you put the old price in, would flag the bet and could end up getting the cashier in serious bother. I would have given about 30 secs on a price change to accept a bet (up to a minute depending if they were a regular or not). Afaik this is generally how it operates in all bookies, and they all should have a list of rules on the wall.

Is the onus not on the bookmaker to check the price at the time of the bet and amend the odds accordingly? Bet was placed half an hour before the race.

It should be amended reflecting the correct odds prior to putting the bet through, but not all cashiers (at least where I worked) were savvy to check the odds. The way I did it personally was if I saw the price had changed I would tell the customer and then run the bet through and see how long it changed (as I said before). You are right, all prices should be checked though, but not giving you the price you wrote is not illegal as such, the bookmakers operate on a gentleman's agreement i.e. not a legally binding contract. I presume that the jump in price was maybe early morning price to first show? Unfortunately, from stories I am reading on this forum, it seems that there is a lack of training amongst some cashiers on how to take a bet i.e. check odds, check to see it is not a late bet, not a related accumilator.

Did you talk to the store manager in relation to this? I know that more than likely they would take the cashier's side, but it might get the cashier a lecture from the manager and may help them not mess up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

if you have the odds written on the slip, then you are guaranteed those odds no matter what

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    if you have the odds written on the slip, then you are guaranteed those odds no matter what

This is the impression I had from betting otherwise what the point of writing the odds. I know if you have the odds on the ticket and they get longer they dont pay out on the later , longer odds!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Not true unfortunately.
    They have a get out of jail clause called palpable error or something like that which covers them if there is a mistake in a price written or quoted.
    Covers them for example putting the match odds in the wrong way round, quoting 100/1 on a 10/1 shot, cashier mishearing the price, etc etc.
    What you should do is wait until there are a few people in the shop and then kick up stink, you might get something more out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I know if you have the odds on the ticket and they get longer they dont pay out on the later , longer odds!

Depends on the bet.
    If it's a football match etc then yes that is correct.
    If it's a horse/greyhound bet (single) a lot of bookies give guaranteed odds which means if you back a horse/dog & take the price on offer at the time, the bookie will pay you out at the SP if it is higher.
    So if backing horses/dogs in singles, always take the price at the time as that will be the worst price you will get.
    Boyles, Paddy Power, Ladbrokes guarantee prices.
    Nowadays no excuse for betting with a bookie who doesn't offer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

callaway92 wrote: »

Totally untrue. If there was any sort of error the bookies have rights to change them, this applies to all bets even soccer pools forms. If you read the T & C's you will see this. Basic fact remains there is no law governing bookies and if they dont want to pay you they can tell u to fcuk off and there is nothing u can do about it and thats a fact.

seabre wrote: »
    This is the impression I had from betting otherwise what the point of writing the odds. I know if you have the odds on the ticket and they get longer they dont pay out on the later , longer odds!

As others have mentioned, the bookies can change the odds. The purpose behind you writing the odds is that you take a gamble that it is going to be the best price you get on the horse/dog/whatever and that it wont drift out i.e. you take a price at 18/1 and it goes out to 22/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

As others have mentioned, the bookies can change the odds. The purpose behind you writing the odds is that you take a gamble that it is going to be the best price you get on the horse/dog/whatever and that it wont drift out i.e. you take a price at 18/1 and it goes out to 22/1.
    Not an issue with guaranteed odds these days.

Advertisement