Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Classic Doctor Who Fan Club Thread!

Options
  • 05-08-2010 9:04pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So let's have this thread to discuss what we're going to watch and a new thread for each story we're going to discuss.

Next up we should pick something from Patrick Troughton's era. A quick look at his era will show nearly all stories are incomplete, episodes wiped out by a thrifty BBC. It's a shame as some of those seemed that they'd have been very good.
    Some of the stories that survived in full are unfortunately not very good, so we're a bit limited in our selection unless people are happy to watch stories with a couple of reconstructions.

Some suggestions then from stories that are nearly all there:

* Tomb of the Cyberman - 4 episode serial (complete) about...
    * The Invasion - 8 episode serial, with 2 episodes missing. I thought this was a good story, handled well.
    * The War Games - Troughton's final story. All ten episodes are intact and it plays on a pretty epic scale. Notable for the first real encounter with a certain group!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apparently there are animated reconstructions of the missing "The Invasion" episodes...

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

there are for two eps, i have the invasion, its classic, and has a good villian in it as well as the cybermen invading (:rolleyes:) london.

i'd go with that.

(and bags inferno for third doctor..)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

(and bags inferno for third doctor..)
    I would've suggested that but we just watched a Season 7 story and there's lots of other Pertwee stories, maybe including one with the Master.

Having said that I've just re-watched "Inferno" and it is quite simply one of the greatest stories in the show's 31 seasons on every single level - from story to acting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So we're looking at doing them in order then?

So we're looking at doing them in order then?
    Well picking one story from each Doctor yes. What that story is, is open to suggestion.
    So therefore I'm suggesting "The Invasion" for Patrick Troughton (and I've more suggestions for the other Doctors).
    Once we agree on a story then we can do our homework!

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Well picking one story from each Doctor yes. What that story is, is open to suggestion.
    So therefore I'm suggesting "The Invasion" for Patrick Troughton (and I've more suggestions for the other Doctors).
    Once we agree on a story then we can do our homework!

Troughton is by far my poorest suject so I am cool with whatever you suggest.

Troughton is by far my poorest suject so I am cool with whatever you suggest.
    No movement on this? Then I suggest "The Invasion" as next up, especially if the missing episodes are reconstructed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Sounds good to me

No movement on this? Then I suggest "The Invasion" as next up, especially if the missing episodes are reconstructed.

Invasion it is, will watch it over the weekend.

Just finished watching "The Invasion".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

where do I get a copy?

I watched it on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I'm intrigued by this thread, i'm a huge classic Doctor Who fan. But i'm a little at a loss, do we just watch the story and just discuss it. If so may I take part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by this thread, i'm a huge classic Doctor Who fan. But i'm a little at a loss, do we just watch the story and just discuss it. If so may I take part.
    That's basically it, yeah :)

cool, i have the invasion and will watch it tonight.

Will I start a discussion thread on the episode or do people want me to wait until everyone has a chance to watch it?

Stark wrote: »
    Will I start a discussion thread on the episode or do people want me to wait until everyone has a chance to watch it?
    Go ahead and start it!

Also let's open nominations soon for a 3rd Doctor story. I really want to suggest "Inferno" but reckon we should choose something from one of the other seasons of the Pertwee era.

I thought we were going to go straight to the 4th Doctor? But if "Inferno" is really that good, let's watch it.

I'd rather go to the 4th. We should do them one by one (including nu who as nothing to stop us discussing them :) )

BTW- been busy this week so still invasion-less. With deffo catch it though.

• Advertisement

Okay, straght out for the 4th - "City of Death". A classic, and one that doesn't need to feature Daleks or Cybermen.

Okay, straght out for the 4th - "City of Death". A classic, and one that doesn't need to feature Daleks or Cybermen.

The first Doctor Who to be shot outside the UK, i'll watch tonight.

Deadly, first one I actually own. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Stark wrote: »
    Apparently there are animated reconstructions of the missing "The Invasion" episodes...

there are indeed. Was lucky enough to get the DVD. Episodes 1 and 4 are the ones that are animated. Episodes 2,3, and 5 to 8 are all as original shot. Good story, it's a little bit long but a good story nonetheless as it was the template for the Doctor Who Series of the 1970s including U.N.I.T.

Bit of a zombie thread.

I'm in a rellies house and there's a set of trial of a time lord. LETS GO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Bit of a zombie thread.

I'm in a rellies house and there's a set of trial of a time lord. LETS GO

I'm sure you've seen it before, but I do sure hope you like that one shot of the TARDIS being tractored into the Courtroom ship; I'm guessing they must have the year's SFX budget on it, as they really, really milk it.

Do recall Vengeance on Varos almost getting close to being a competent episode, and the finale has a few tiddly bits, but it was truly the worst retort to the then increasing call for Who to be cancelled.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I'm sure you've seen it before, but I do sure hope you like that one shot of the TARDIS being tractored into the Courtroom ship; I'm guessing they must have the year's SFX budget on it, as they really, really milk it.

Do recall Vengeance on Varos almost getting close to being a competent episode, and the finale has a few tiddly bits, but it was truly the worst retort to the then increasing call for Who to be cancelled.

That shot still looks amazing, I loved it :)

Only watched the first arc, fell asleep then. Second this weekend.

As much as people criticise it, it's almost a precursor for the current series- angry Doctor as a critic of the corrupt Time Lords, Doctor having a (literal) dark side, etc!

Advertisement