Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone {UK} customers fume over HTC Desire "upgrade"...

Options
  • 05-08-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭

odafone has infuriated customers after updating their HTC Desire handsets with the network's own irremovable apps.

The update, which many customers believed was the 'Froyo' Android 2.2 upgrade, instead delivered a series of Vodafone 360 apps and a new Vodafone-branded start-up screen, and added various web shortcuts to the home screen.

The Vodafone forums are swelling with complaints from customers who believe they were duped into downloading the "upgrade", with many complaining of impaired performance and crashing apps. What's more, the bundled applications cannot be removed.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/360055/vodafone-customers-fume-over-htc-desire-upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

having never actually seen the update process on android does it not give you a description of the update before you download it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I never got the whole point of vodafone 360 also taking over zyb and then locking out non vodafone 360 users was pretty bad form it should have been kept for everybody it was a very handy website, is there any other site out there like zyb ?

I never got the whole point of vodafone 360 also taking over zyb and then locking out non vodafone 360 users was pretty bad form it should have been kept for everybody it was a very handy website, is there any other site out there like zyb ?
    i sync mine with google contacts using mail for exchange. anyway, that's not what this thread is about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I used to use zyb also but had to move to this after vodafone screwed it up
    https://www.mobical.net/

Now that I have gone android though, no need anymore as Google looks after all my personal information :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Hypothetically, if this were done here.... actually, no need for the hypotheticallu... can these people root their phones, thus removing the branding and apps, or are they literally stuck with this crap for good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They should be able to root, but only a relatively small percentage of android users would have the technical know how (or inclination) to root their phones and tweak or change their ROMs.

Me? I'd debrand it in a heartbeat. Cheeky feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Mr E wrote: »
    They should be able to root, but only a relatively small percentage of android users would have the technical know how (or inclination) to root their phones and tweak or change their ROMs.

Me? I'd debrand it in a heartbeat. Cheeky feckers.
    Yeah, that's understandable. A friend of mine picked up a Desire after seeing mine, but I'm the one who helps her upgrade (to Froyo, etc) and download apps and speed up her phone. I doubt she's ever even heard of rooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

The power of boards, 8 posts and its pulled.:D

Only if it was so easy

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Vodafone are releasing the real froyo update in the next 7-10 days, without the bloatware.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/08/12/vodafone-caves-demand-rolling-froyo-ten-days-sans-bloatware/

Power to the people. :)

• Advertisement

fair play to vodafone. fair enough they made a complete screwball at the start but they've accepted their wrong and are sorting things out. many companys would just let people suffer.

(i've not clicked the link).

Advertisement