Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint Credit Card Debt

Options
  • 05-08-2010 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

quick question... if anyone knows a site where i could get full information that would be perfect either.

basically what has happened is that my partner has a credit card and his ex was an authorised user, at the time she racked up a lot of debt on her card, and was literally paying the minimum payment every month, which was being cancelled out by the the interest but now she is refusing to pay the debt.

Is she in anyway liable for this debt or is he screwed now because she was an authorised sig but it was in his name...

Need a quick answer if possible!

Thanks so much

Ms. Rockstar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

MsRockstar wrote: »
    quick question... if anyone knows a site where i could get full information that would be perfect either.

basically what has happened is that my partner has a credit card and his ex was an authorised user, at the time she racked up a lot of debt on her card, and was literally paying the minimum payment every month, which was being cancelled out by the the interest but now she is refusing to pay the debt.

Is she in anyway liable for this debt or is he screwed now because she was an authorised sig but it was in his name...

Need a quick answer if possible!

Thanks so much

Ms. Rockstar

If she was a joint account holder which not that common on credit cards then they are both equally and severally liable. Meaning he is still as liable.

If she was card holder only he is solely liable as the credit agreement is between him and bank. He allowed her access to his line of credit. big mistake it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MsRockstar

chris85 wrote: »
    big mistake it seems.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, but you put trust in people and unfortunately some people are just bad people.

It wasn't a joint account, she was just a signatory, so we are getting the back statements for her card and going to identify what is her purchases and those that she claims were made for 'family home'. However, if these are her possession and we are liable, we are also able to keep the possessions if we pay for them. So, i feel this will be a never ending story we are hoping to keep out of court.

Thanks Chris.

Advertisement