Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with hives

Options
  • 05-08-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

My dog has what looks what I'd call hives on a human. Took him to the vet a couple of weeks a go and got steroids for hives and antibiotics for infection. Hives are now returning and am not keen to get more steroids/antibiotics. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

It's possible the dog may have an allergy to something. Could you discuss an antihistimine with your vet? I understand that piriton can be used but your vet would need to confirm that and also the dosage.

In the meantime if the dog is itchy try some aloe vera gel (it works for my JRT) if you can try putting a T-shirt on over the gel then it's more difficult for the dog to lick it off :D

Keep an eye out for signs of infection in the lumps, my little one sometimes gets infected and ends up back on antiboitics and steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

It could well be an allergy. A friend of mine had a similar experience with her dog having regular bouts of hives and it turned to be a food allergy. Once the dog food was changed, it all went away.

Hope you get it sorted out. Is it making your dog very miserable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Try putting manuka honey on the hives/allergy. Worked well for one of my dogs when she had an allergy last year

Advertisement