Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reckonable Income

Options
  • 05-08-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.
    Basically I was wondering are there any grants for people over the reckonable income limits for the maintenance grant? I am just barely over the limit and I know that I'm going to need financial help that my parents might not be able to provide.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

There are some things you might want to look into. They are not a guarantee though.

You should look for any bursaries in your area. In 2008 a friend of mine got a €2,000 from bursary. I think it was from the louth county council so look ones up in your area.

You might want to check the student assistance fund out for the college(s) you're planning to go to. If you're renting a room away from home they sometimes provide you with up to €1,000 for rent (or at least my college, DIT, does) depending from college to college they may also give you money based on food receipts but this may be outdated by now.

Also you may be eligible for having part fees by the county council/ VEC as well even if you're not entitled to a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can also maybe apply to the credit union for a loan

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

No bursaries and can't get a penny from the VEC.

What is the longest a student loan can be held before repayments begin? I'm going to study law and I want to practice law after so probably not going to get a paycheque for about 5 years unless I manage to find a part time job. I know I should ask the banks/credit union but I'm not going to be able to get into one for about a week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No bursaries and can't get a penny from the VEC.

What is the longest a student loan can be held before repayments begin? I'm going to study law and I want to practice law after so probably not going to get a paycheque for about 5 years unless I manage to find a part time job. I know I should ask the banks/credit union but I'm not going to be able to get into one for about a week :o
    generally student loans are about 5 years

I think that you should contact your college to ask about the student assistance fund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement