Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool Washing Machine Kaput - HELP!

Options
  • 05-08-2010 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have a Whirlpool AWM 1200 front loader washing machine. I used it fine yesterday then today I put a wash on and the the machine will not start.

I have put it on to a wash, a rinse and a spin setting and nothing happens - it just clicks but does nothing.

I tried putting it on a drain setting and I can hear the machine making the pumping noise but it still wont work.

I had a look at the filter compartment (on the bottom right front of the machine) and it was full of water. I got all the water out - had a look at the filter and it was fine - no blockage. Still the machine would not start.

I then added water manually into the machine - 4 pints - and put it on a drain setting. It made the usual pumping noise. I had a look at the filter compartment and again it was full of water.

Can anyone help? Any ideas what might be wrong with it. What can I DIY to see if I can fix it myself before having to ring a plumber?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

Hi,first off you will always have water in the filter,thats normal.when you start a programme does the machine take water? If it does take in water does the drum move at all? If it does none of these things does it make any noise at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mr_Curious

Hi GMAN, Thanks for reply.

No water goes into the machine - it just clicks and stays still. No movement from the drum either.

The only time it makes real noise is when I put it on a drain setting - pumping noise.

Thanks for letting me know that the filter usually has water in it. Can you tell me should it have water in it even after the drain setting goes on?

Thanks

yeah,you will always be left with some water in filter.It sounds like your problem could be an inlet valve or pcb.
    Maybe somebody like knighted on here can confirm this but i think on whirpool machines when the motor brushes go the timer just clicks all the way through programme without doing anything.Could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

if machine doesnt read certain circuits complete it will sit down and do nothing except pump out in case of flooding etc

most common open circuit it reads is that of the brushes ,when they are worn the machine wont operate

second one is the inlet valve but id say 90 pc its the brushes -

edit-- meant to say thats specific only to whirlpool machines

knighted_1 wrote: »
    most common open circuit it reads is that of the brushes, when they are worn the machine wont operate

Thanks for your help knighted - would you be able to describe how I could check if the brushes are worn? Please? :)

• Advertisement

put it on spin cycle.if all you hear is drain pump and clicking noise then your brushes are worn

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

2 Days without the Machine working and I guess I'll have to ring someone but I'd love to be able to fix it myself.

I'll try that now and see what happens

I put it on spin cycle and all it did was click and sit there doing nothing with no other noise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭mrskinner

Our Whirlpool tripped switch at fuse box when about to go to water heating. The spin was also very loud ala motorbike. Got repair man in. I said the water heating was where the problem seemed to be. He fiddled around and said something about a relay. Spin better but but tripped again when it came to the heating part of the cycle. He came back. Took out the heater element. It was scored on both pipes by something in the drum. . He replaced the element. on the second wash after the machine tripped again. he returned and said that the machine was no more good as the drum was wearing away against the heating element. He told us to replace the machine. He will return the price of the heating element. Thw Whirlpool is over 10 years old? Is he correct? Is Bosch a good alternative?

Advertisement