Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jazz & blues in NYC

Options
  • 05-08-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Folks,

taking the father in law to NYC for a birthday treat, and I know he'd love to visit some jazz and/or blues clubs.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Pick up a copy of "The Village Voice". It is the equivalent of our "Event Guide" here. It's free and available in a few places, shops pubs, hotel lobbys ect. It will give all the currrent jazz and blues gigs. You could also buy a copy of "Time Out New York".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

picking up the village voice is excellent advice. you'll actually see it all over the place, most likely on corners outside subway stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Thanks guys

I'll pick up a copy for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Probably the best Blues Club in New York is Terra Blues their web site is www.terrablues.com have fun

thanks win,

just the sort of thing i was looking for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RobY

big b wrote: »
    Folks,

taking the father in law to NYC for a birthday treat, and I know he'd love to visit some jazz and/or blues clubs.

Any recommendations?

Two recommendations from me. I went to both of these last year. They are residencies and happen pretty much every week.

1) Monday - Mingus Big Band / Mingus Orchestra at the Jazz Standard http://www.jazzstandard.net/red/calendar/calendar-august2010.html

2) Wednesday - Louis Armstrong Centennial Band at Birdland http://birdlandjazz.com/

Both are absolutely fantastic but the Louis Armstrong Centennial Band was my favourite.

In both cases, you can have a few nice drinks and some nice food while you watch some great jazz.

thanks roby, both look good alright.

Was surprised to see Debbie Harry will be making an appearance at Birdland - on our first night in NYC :eek:

all in all, reckon we should be hearing some pretty good music on this holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Check out Smalls

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/

They have live streaming video of their gigs every night on the website so you can get an idea of what its like.

looks like another good club - cool website too

thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

go to the Bitter End.... and there's another one on the same street as that one.
    Both in Greenwich Village

• Advertisement
Advertisement