Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JS bess options

Options
  • 05-08-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

Gonna be doing joint honours business and economics...was just wondering would money and banking be a somewhat easier road to take than economic analysis or econometrics/mathematical economics? One of these modules is a necessary requirement for joint honours, just wondering what people would advise with regard to lecturers, coursework etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I just did all three last year so should be able to help you somewhat. If you're considering a post-grad in Economics, you should probably do Economic Analysis and Econometrics at least. Those two are tough but if you go to all the lectures and reasonably follow along with what's happening then you should do alright. I'd really recommened Econometrics, it was really well organised with regards to lectures, tutorials and homeworks and stuff. The applied project can actually be quite interesting too, it's tough but really worth it.

Money and Banking wasn't the best this year, lectures were quite boring and we had mandatory tutorial presentations which required a lot of work and which were only worth about 1% of the year. I regret picking it to be honest.

Mathematical Economics was interesting, it was a very small class maybe about 30 or so, so kind of a different experience to most college lectures. The material itself was pretty ok but a lot of us felt cheated in the summer exam when the second half of the paper was filled with questions on really obscure parts of the course which were just briefly touched on in class.

If I'd to pick 3 again this year, I'd go Econ Analysis, Econometrics and Maths, but that's just me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Thanks very much, I'll take that on board(s)! Great pun right there.

Advertisement