Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs for vegans?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Looking for a little advice. Where should I look for work for vegans? I know it's a strange question, but it is hard to find a job in an industry that doesn't contribute to animal suffering (especially these days). I thought about health shops but it seems that these stores don't need more employees. So I'm stuck. Do you have any ideas?

I'm talking about jobs in County Wicklow and south Dublin.

Go veg(eteri)an! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

That's an interesting question. I for one would be curious where the discussion goes with this one. It also depends on your other thoughts, like are you environmentally aware? I would like to have no cruelty to animals, move dependence away from animals and work on other environmentally favourable processes. So jobs in that sort of area... I guess where ever you end up working you would impart your preferences in this area in some way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Kruk wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Looking for a little advice. Where should I look for work for vegans? I know it's a strange question, but it is hard to find a job in an industry that doesn't contribute to animal suffering (especially these days). I thought about health shops but it seems that these stores don't need more employees. So I'm stuck. Do you have any ideas?

I'm talking about jobs in County Wicklow and south Dublin.

Go veg(eteri)an! :)

If my memory serves me correctly, the definition of veganism according to the Vegan Society is somebody who seeks to avoid the use of animal products in so far as is "practical and possible."

If you need a job, get a job. So long as it doesn't increase the demand for animal products, its really a non-issue in my opinion.
    Although its an extreme example, you could get a job in McDonald's and your choice would not lead to an increase in the demand for animal products in any way whatsoever. It may offend your sensibilities and would seem odd that a vegan had decided to work in such a place, but it would make literally no difference to the suffering of animals.

You can't lead a perfect life and in my opinion, refusing a job because the company has some connection with agri-business, is a little, as the OP admits, "strange".

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

If my memory serves me correctly, the definition of veganism according to the Vegan Society is somebody who seeks to avoid the use of animal products in so far as is "practical and possible."

If you need a job, get a job. So long as it doesn't increase the demand for animal products, its really a non-issue in my opinion.
    Although its an extreme example, you could get a job in McDonald's and your choice would not lead to an increase in the demand for animal products in any way whatsoever. It may offend your sensibilities and would seem odd that a vegan had decided to work in such a place, but it would make literally no difference to the suffering of animals.

You can't lead a perfect life and in my opinion, refusing a job because the company has some connection with agri-business, is a little, as the OP admits, "strange".

You have a good point. But perhaps Kruk is seeking a job that would be considered vegan-friendly so that s/he feels as though they're making a positive impact through their work. When you think about it, you probably spend about 1/4 of the hours in your year working and by the time you retire you'll have put so many years of effort in.

I know that we can all make a difference with how we live our lives, but our jobs are generally something which we dedicate a lot of energy to and it would be nice to look back at the end of the week, year or career and know that it was time well spent and not just time spent to earn money.

Your post still makes sense though. If you need a job, then I guess beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The dole queue might serve your purposes. :/

You won't be raising the demand for animal products by working there, nor lessening it by not working there. They'll just find someone else and you don't get the wages.

What about creches or childminding? Or try here
    http://www.dundrum.ie/about-us/jobs/

The dole queue might serve your purposes. :/

You won't be raising the demand for animal products by working there, nor lessening it by not working there. They'll just find someone else and you don't get the wages.

What about creches or childminding? Or try here
    http://www.dundrum.ie/about-us/jobs/

Are people actually entertaining such a ridiculous original post? And are they actually suggesting that this person live a life as a welfare degenerate instead of being a responsible adult? C'mon people, welcome to the real world.
    Nobody can lead a lifestyle which excludes animal use/suffering 100%. No matter what job you get, you will always be able to find something about it which has contributed to the plight of animals. Get over it, there is nothing we can do in a practical sense; we have lives to lead also.

If the OP is serious about this, then he/she should never buy a car because all either contain animal products (in their paint, seat filler, glue, steering wheel etc.) or used animals during testing; should never consume medicine again, for obvious reasons; should not use electricity because the area around the power plant, the source of his/her electricity, experiences acid rain which displaces and harms non-human animals; should not eat most vegetables because herbicides, which harm animals, are used in their production. The list goes on and on.

Do you see how pedantic and impractical I'm being here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

While I agree with you that to live a life 100% without any cruelty to animals is impractical and almost impossible, I would disagree with your McDonald's example.

For a lot of people (including myself) it's not about not liking meat, or not believing that people should eat meat, but it's about how the animals themselves are treated and being morally objectionable to their exploitation in this fashion. Your "It doesn't make a difference to meat demand if you work in McDonalds" is the same as "You not eating meat doesn't make a difference to the demand". It's not really about making a difference (although the vegetarian "movement" has made a difference), it's more about you yourself holding up your own personal morals as best you can.

Although it might be totally inviable to look for a job that's 100% free of animal cruelty, it makes sense to look for one that minimises the cruelty as much as possible.

OP : Only thing I can really think of off hand is Vet? Vet Nurse? DSPCA? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Many thanks for your replies :) Actually I was thinking about shelters as well.
    Are people actually entertaining such a ridiculous original post? And are they actually suggesting that this person live a life as a welfare degenerate instead of being a responsible adult? C'mon people, welcome to the real world.
    Nobody can lead a lifestyle which excludes animal use/suffering 100%. No matter what job you get, you will always be able to find something about it which has contributed to the plight of animals. Get over it, there is nothing we can do in a practical sense; we have lives to lead also.

If the OP is serious about this, then he/she should never buy a car because all either contain animal products (in their paint, seat filler, glue, steering wheel etc.) or used animals during testing; should never consume medicine again, for obvious reasons; should not use electricity because the area around the power plant, the source of his/her electricity, experiences acid rain which displaces and harms non-human animals; should not eat most vegetables because herbicides, which harm animals, are used in their production. The list goes on and on.

Do you see how pedantic and impractical I'm being here?

I wouldn't be so cynical. You're absolutely right in saying that we can't exclude animal products from our life, but we can try to minimize them. Similarly, we can minimize our involvement in the exploitation of animals, finding such work, which has no or little effect on the suffering of animals (e.g. I did lectures in a vegan restaurant and it was a very positive work). Of course, often it happens that we have no choice. It is obvious, no one expects miracles here. But as an animal rights activist from many years, I know that we have a choice to try to minimize our impact. This can be done in many ways, not only when shopping or eating.

Also following your way of thinking, you can also deny the meatless diet. What is the reason of being a vegetarian-vegan if it still does not change anything? More and more animlas die. Does it mean it's pointless? There's always a reason to say "get over it" or "it's impractical" or "it won't change anything". But fortunately I met lots of naives (like myself) who try to make good choices and live as ethically as it possible. And I noticed that this may affect the attitudes of other people and the reality in which we live. :)

Jim wrote: »
    Your "It doesn't make a difference to meat demand if you work in McDonalds" is the same as "You not eating meat doesn't make a difference to the demand". It's not really about making a difference (although the vegetarian "movement" has made a difference), it's more about you yourself holding up your own personal morals as best you can.

It's not the same. In McDonalds, or in a cafe, deli counter etc. you are preparing animal products for the consumption of other people. The demand for those product does not change if you are involved in the process or not. But when you yourself are at the counter and order a milkshake you are increasing the demand for animal products and therefore animal exploitation. That's the difference to me. Personally I would not want to work in McDonald's; I was just using that as an extreme example.
    Kruk wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so cynical. You're absolutely right in saying that we can't exclude animal products from our life, but we can try to minimize them. Similarly, we can minimize our involvement in the exploitation of animals, finding such work, which has no or little effect on the suffering of animals (e.g. I did lectures in a vegan restaurant and it was a very positive work). Of course, often it happens that we have no choice. It is obvious, no one expects miracles here. But as an animal rights activist from many years, I know that we have a choice to try to minimize our impact. This can be done in many ways, not only when shopping or eating.

Also following your way of thinking, you can also deny the meatless diet. What is the reason of being a vegetarian-vegan if it still does not change anything? More and more animlas die. Does it mean it's pointless? There's always a reason to say "get over it" or "it's impractical" or "it won't change anything". But fortunately I met lots of naives (like myself) who try to make good choices and live as ethically as it possible. And I noticed that this may affect the attitudes of other people and the reality in which we live. :)

There is a difference between being cynical and being realistic, and I think you're missing that. I am all in favour of eliminating animal exploitation but when the debate entertains the prospect of somebody leading an impractical life and perhaps one without financial productivity, that's where I draw the line. Again:
    Veganism is a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing and any other purpose.

Not consuming animal products, despite what you say, does make an active difference. It stops animals from being brought into this world to die. Although more and more non-humans are being killed every day, a vegan diet ensures that this number is smaller than it might otherwise have been, and it is (importantly), for all intents and purposes, a practical alternative to an omnivorous lifestyle. But saying, 'oooh, I refuse to work in Spar because they have a deli counter' or 'I won't work in a department store because I'll have to try and sell leather goods to customers' is a step too far and should not be entertained, in my opinion.

I am all in favour of eliminating animal exploitation but when the debate entertains the prospect of somebody leading an impractical life and perhaps one without financial productivity, that's where I draw the line.

For most people, being a vegan is not practical. Something is impractical for you but for others it's okay. So impracticality definition is ambiguous. Also I see no reason why vegan-friendly work would cause financial problems and I don't think that anyone would insist on being unemployed because there are no vegan-friendly workplaces in his/her area.
    Not consuming animal products, despite what you say, does make an active difference.

I didn't say that. I know it does. I said that following your way of thinking, we can prove that everything is impractical or pointless or unreal.
    But saying, 'oooh, I refuse to work in Spar because they have a deli counter' or 'I won't work in a department store because I'll have to try and sell leather goods to customers' is a step too far and should not be entertained, in my opinion.

Again, these are not my words. Maybe I have amnesia? Also I said clearly I don't want to do it, not all vegans in the world. There is no reason to be so ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Right, tone it down guys. We're not looking for an argument here, only ideas on how to continue support/follow veganism in the workplace.

More thoughtful and helpful suggestions please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Wait tables in Cornucopia on Wexford Street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jim wrote: »

OP : Only thing I can really think of off hand is Vet? Vet Nurse? DSPCA? etc.

Yes, because all animals would choose to be neutered/euthanised/chipped/tails clipped etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Wait tables in Cornucopia on Wexford Street :)
    Don't think the OP would get too far with that one. However, Cornucopia on Wicklow Street could be an option :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So many people mistake those two, even I don't and I am stooopid with knowing where things are :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

I think this is a legitimate question that the OP has raised.

There are a couple of places online which claim to show veg*n/ethical job vacancies worldwide - but unfortunately they seem to be mainly US based (not surprising really!)

http://twitter.com/veganjobs
    http://www.ethical-jobs.co.uk/uk/search_result.php
    http://jobs.veganmainstream.com/

So, if you're not keen on moving to the US(;)!) you could try to make up a list of veg*n ethical companies in Ireland/Dublin/Wicklow depending on your areas of interest/expertise, and send off some speculative applications.

Maybe try looking at the list of organisations of interest on the Vegetarian Society website for a start: http://www.vegetarian.ie/links?term_node_tid_depth=46&term_node_tid_depth_1=All

Or, approach larger companies listed on 'most ethical' type lists:

http://ethisphere.com/wme2010/
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0201/1224263502392.html

There are also a couple of UK sites that might have a few Irish places mentioned on their 'marketplace'/'business' sections, or maybe if they're bigger companies listed there they might have Irish branches too:

http://www.veggies.org.uk/directory/
    http://www.viva.org.uk/businesses/index.php#marketplace

Hope that something here helps anyway, or at the very least sparks some other ideas.

I think this is a legitimate question that the OP has raised.

There are a couple of places online which claim to show veg*n/ethical job vacancies worldwide - but unfortunately they seem to be mainly US based (not surprising really!)

http://twitter.com/veganjobs
    http://www.ethical-jobs.co.uk/uk/search_result.php
    http://jobs.veganmainstream.com/

So, if you're not keen on moving to the US(;)!) you could try to make up a list of veg*n ethical companies in Ireland/Dublin/Wicklow depending on your areas of interest/expertise, and send off some speculative applications.

Maybe try looking at the list of organisations of interest on the Vegetarian Society website for a start: http://www.vegetarian.ie/links?term_node_tid_depth=46&term_node_tid_depth_1=All

Or, approach larger companies listed on 'most ethical' type lists:

http://ethisphere.com/wme2010/
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0201/1224263502392.html

There are also a couple of UK sites that might have a few Irish places mentioned on their 'marketplace'/'business' sections, or maybe if they're bigger companies listed there they might have Irish branches too:

http://www.veggies.org.uk/directory/
    http://www.viva.org.uk/businesses/index.php#marketplace

Hope that something here helps anyway, or at the very least sparks some other ideas.

Thanks a lot! That's very useful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

You could contact the lads at 'The Happy Pear' in Greystones (county Wicklow) They are probably in the know about whats what in Wicklow veganism. I don't have a contact, but if you look on the internet...

Worth a try. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

What about some sort of office job? Is there a problem there?

you could do a course in web development and try to get a job in that.

as a previous poster said you have to be practical too and I do not think being on the dole is good or proper alternative.

Still, I think its admirable that you are trying to live you life in an ethical manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Or you could work with people in a caring capacity, working in an elderly person's home helping them bathe, keep them company, help them eat etc.
    You could work with homeless people in shelters or on the street.
    You could work with children in a creche/ mind them in their own homes. You could work in a shelter or even offer a dog walking/ cat sitting service.

It depends on whether you want a job working for a cause that supports veganism or whether you just want a job that doesn't contribute to animal suffering.

Advertisement