Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older Dog becoming submissive to new Puppy

Options
  • 05-08-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi there,

We have a (roughly) 10 year old scottish terrier (female) and two weeks ago got an 8 week old beagle (male) for her to have some company when I return to work (teacher) and also to hopefully boost a bit of life back into her as she reaches the bus pass stage!

Unfortunately, over the past 2 weeks she has progressively become submissive to the puppy. She lets him steal her ball during fetch, backs away from petting when he buts in and generally growls and runs away when he tries to interact with her. We also have to separate them at feeding time as she doesn't stop him from taking her food.

Are there any suggestions as to how we can get our Scottie to take control and "put manners on" are new pup?

Robbie

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Give her a lot more attention than the pup so she doesn't think your putting her last in the pecking order, it may be just taking her a little while to adjust and she might just be having a little sulk at the new arrival. She should come around to the idea within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unlike you she probably realises that a 10 week old pup is way too young to "have manners put on it".

From my experience, older dogs are immensely tolerant of the antics of young pups. The teaching of manners at that stage is very subtle to non-existent and only kicks in at a later stage when the pup is a bit older, less fragile and can actually take a lesson.

From your description, your older dog does sound a bit put out however. Make sure that she feels comfortable and not left behind or anything.

Also, should it indeed turn out in the long run that your older dog wants to behave submissively towards your younger one ...let her. Don't force her into a role she isn't comfortable with, just because she's the oldest.

It is down to you to be "top dog" anyway. You set the rules, you enforce them (equally!), you keep the peace.
    After that it's up to the two dogs how they sort things, as long as they stay within the rules.

BTW ...with our three dogs I can detect no clear hirarchy. They alternate at taking the initiative, they alternate at being grumpy ...basically they just get along with occasional mood changes according to daily form.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 robdunne

Thanks for the feedback. This is the first puppy we've had as our scottie was a rescue dog and "unlike you" peasant, we are not experts and can do without patronising remarks.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

robdunne wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. This is the first puppy we've had as our scottie was a rescue dog and "unlike you" peasant, we are not experts and can do without patronising remarks.

Thanks again!

What was patronising about Peasant's post?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Zadkiel wrote: »
    What was patronising about Peasant's post?:confused:

Yeah im wondering too??:confused:

Peasant gave a very detailed reply with lots of advice, cant see anywhere where they were patronising???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Killinaugh

I think robdunne is referring to the Unlike you .. which is a bit patronising - some good information there tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Killinaugh wrote: »
    I think robdunne is referring to the Unlike you .. which is a bit patronising - some good information there tho

i wouldn't say it's patronising, it depends on the way it's being read..

Unlike you she probably realises that a 10 week old pup is way too young to "have manners put on it".

Reads to me that unlike the owners, the older dog is aware of the age of pup etc

if it read

Unlike you, she probably realises that a 10 week old pup is way too young to "have manners put on it".

It reads as Unlike you ( you dumbass)...etc

Just one of the quirks and foibles of the english language

Advertisement