Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB connection to new build - 12k or 16k?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,
    Just got our planning permission in wicklow. we are planning a 197sqm dormer home. not inclined towards underfloor heating or heat pump. we will have a well with pump.
    which connection do we need? I think 12k but would we be better off going for 16k in case we make changes/additions in the future?
    thanks
    Alli

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Your electrician will make the call depending on your spec, the main reason for the 16k is for heat pumps or if you want to install a large welder in the shed for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Doing my own build at the moment and just to add to leaderships comments.
    Your electrician will spec you on your requirements.I would add to this that you will now be required to comply with part l 2008 regs and this may require a renewable source. if you consifer geothermal then you are almost certainly looking at 16kw. Taking into account the above heating being on average 6kw and internally you have an electric shower (3kw) you dont have alot for the rest of the house.
    Had the same issue my self and the difference in installation cost from the esb in minimal comapered to the overall heating system you will employ.

best of luck ( hope my figures are correct.)

Advertisement