Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accommodation - Jordanstown

• 04-08-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi!

I got an offer for a Masters in Jordanstown so I'm trying to decide between that and the equivalent Masters in NUIG. Frankly NUIG would be the easy option because I've spent the last 3 years there and I'm from Co.Galway, but I'm leaning more towards Jordanstown at the moment...I like an adventure! :)

Anyway I'm just trying to weigh out my options so I'm looking for opinions on Jordanstown accommodation. I don't really want to live on campus (I wouldn't rule it out totally either) but I have no idea about Belfast as a city, i.e bus routes to Jordanstown, proximity to main city bus/train station etc. For anyone that goes to/used to go to Jordanstown which would you recommend, on-campus or off? And where would be the handiest area of the city to live in, in relation to accessing the University?

I'd appreciate any advice because moving to Belfast is looking a bit daunting at the mo compared to the handy NUIG option! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Most people I know lived in Belfast in the regular studenty areas (near Queen's) and caught a bus down to Jordanstown. There is a service that goes from around Stranmillis (student area near QUB) right out to UUJ. Buses go from the city centre so you could really live anywhere and catch a connecting service.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Go to JTown, you'll love the uni and the night life, Belfast is the best student city in Ireland.

If you stay on campus you will stay with the international students. No joke! I went to Jtown and because you are from the south they classify you as an international student, just like me. But then you can look on in envy/amusement as all the French smooth movers sahg all the other students/Germans live on 64p a day.

Accomodation is very nice and is reasonably charged at JTown. Your other option is to stay in belfast. The main area is the holylands (right beside Queens's) or Stranmilis (also right beside Queens). These are nice areas of Belfast predominatly students but rent will be more expensive than Jtown. If you live in belfast you will need to get the "Uni Link" bus to Jtown. They go every 5/10 mins in the morning and evening and at least every 20 mins inbetween. A good service, the bus will get you there in 20 min.

When I was there most of the accom was advertised in the Belfast Telegraph or in shop windows (in student areas) or Queens Students Union.

If you need anymore help just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Esquirex

Hey Dude,

Totally weird that you posted this and I noticed. I just finished my undergrad in NUIG aswell and I'm doing a Masters in Jtown starting in Sept!!! :D

I've already sorted my accom because I'm moving up with two friends who are doing a different masters, anyway the person who messaged you about living near QUB and getting a bus is dead right. I searched loads into it and thats what everybody does. Belfast and UUJ are meant to be absolutely unreal....Galway Shmallway......spread your wings...especially since you're from Galway!!

I know so so much about the whole thing, good areas bad areas etc so if you'd like to chat to me about it that would be sound. I'll send you a message with my contact details. :D G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 layla88

hey there.... im in the same boat as you guys. three of us from NUIG are heading up to UUJ in sept and we're looking for accomm and literally have no idea whatsoever where we should live. is there any chance you could send on info you might have esquirex?? we really are so lost on the whole thing, and dont want to end up in an expensive dive in a bad area kinda thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Esquirex

Hey, So you should be looking in Botanic, University Area or Stranmillis, they are all in South Belfast. I've got sorted with a place on University Avenue which is meant to be good. Holylands is good for students but its meant to be mental!! Like Corrib Village rag week on a daily basis!! Theres a UUJ bus link right beside Queens so if yer like me and yer gonna be constantly running for the bus maybe you should get somewhere as close as possible. I've loads of other info, add me on FB and sher maybe we could meet up to chat about it?? g.coen1@gmail.com :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 gates21

Thanks a million for all the information guys.

I took the Galway course in the end purely because the subjects suited me better and I have work & sport commitments here but I wish I was going to Belfast! :( If only that course was in Jordanstown instead...

It sounds class anyway so I hope ye all enjoy yourselves & who knows, I might go there next year for a phD? :D Thanks again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Not relavant to OP now, but I'd just like to point out that since the new student village was built Jtown is now more expensive than getting a house in Belfast. It's up to 86 a week now. I'm staying there purely for convience and because I'll probably be away on placement for semester 2. There's not an awful lot of mature students staying on campus though, from my experience in the past two years.

Personally, if I was looking for a house with friends, I would look around Whiteabbey area because it's handy for the uni and Belfast but not as mad/loud as the Holylands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Soloula

This thread has been really helpful so far love boards! Im moving to Belfast in September myself Im 23 and going back to study Physio in University of Ulster only thing is finding somewhere to live is a pain right now! I wouldnt say Im fussy its just that this is my second time in college and so my wants and needs are a little different!! I dont want to be in a party house. It would be great to be able to find somewhere close to Jordanstown living with students around my age or with similar interests. Ive been looking on daft and NI student pad and loads of other websites but cant seem to find many places to share near Jordanstown. There is some nice apartments/houses in the area but they want to be let as a whole. I need to find some people in a similar situation who would be interested in getting together to rent a place! Any ideas/tips about how or where to find these people would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Soloula wrote: »
    This thread has been really helpful so far love boards! Im moving to Belfast in September myself Im 23 and going back to study Physio in University of Ulster only thing is finding somewhere to live is a pain right now! I wouldnt say Im fussy its just that this is my second time in college and so my wants and needs are a little different!! I dont want to be in a party house. It would be great to be able to find somewhere close to Jordanstown living with students around my age or with similar interests. Ive been looking on daft and NI student pad and loads of other websites but cant seem to find many places to share near Jordanstown. There is some nice apartments/houses in the area but they want to be let as a whole. I need to find some people in a similar situation who would be interested in getting together to rent a place! Any ideas/tips about how or where to find these people would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks

Soloula,

I would say your best bet is to stay in uni run accom on campus at JTown. The surrounding area is quiet hit and miss, especially for people with a southern accent! It is 10 years since i entered my final year at JTown, so i am not sure where the private lets for the local area are advertised now. Ring up the accomdation dept at JTown and enquire with them. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

hi there,
    i am applying for O.T for 2011. Its twelve months away I know and I might not get in but I have a partner to think about and I want this to be as organised as possible if I do get accepted.
    Ill be 26 going to JTOWN, Im from the West of Ireland.
    Dont want a typical student experience as I already did my Undergrad- no party houses this time around.
    What would ye suggest? For those returning for their second degree from the South- where is 'safe' and reasonable to live? Ive got a car so being on campus is not important to me.
    Would also be interested in any extra funding people are in reciept of as mature students?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 EMMETTMAC

Flat / house share.

I hope to start at Jordanstown Campus NI Sept 2013. Mature student, 33, undergrad studies Healthcare Science (cardiloogy,resp,neuro).

Any advice on dog friendly accommodation up there..I'm hoping i can bring my small small dog very well behaved, terrier & house trained. Anyone else looking for same pls get back.

Cheers
    Emmett :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭crinkley

Nearly all leases will speculate you can't have animals so if you can afford it maybe best living on your own and getting that accomodation through a letting agent who will just collect rent. I lived in 2 places in stranmillis, first teh landlord was around a lot the second he never turned up so after a year there I decided to get a dog, no problem as he never know but the lease did say I wasn't allowed!

Advertisement