Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Underpaid Constantly

Options
  • 05-08-2010 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

My problem is simple but i dont know what to do to get it sorted. I started a new job in March 2010 but ever since then the company have been under paying me i bring it to there attantion every payday and they say it will be in the next payrun. It is now six months later and i am still getting the same story.
    They are breaching the terms in my contract but i dont want to rock the boat too much as in this day and age a job is like gold dust.
    Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

anyone please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My advice is to make the point known in written form, try to get a written reply which acknowledges the fact that you have been underpaid and for how long..

Make sure you are making the point to the right person...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Make all your representations in written form to payroll.

Keep it as unemotional as possible.

Try and get written acknowledgment of the amount owed and the hourly rates, times worked, overtime percentages etc so each of you know where you stand. Also get clarification of breaks, whether paid or unpaid, duration, sign-in, sign-out procedures etc.

Try and get independent verification of start times, finish times etc in case they try and accuse you of not working the required hours for the job.

Also get clarification on any deductions for expenses, such as uniforms, tools etc.... a lot of companies are starting to expect their workers to cover these and other costs, such as training, out of their own pocket.

All these details should be covered in your contract of employment, get one if you do not have one already as it is a legal entitlement. Get written records of all communications with employer and payroll.

If this doesn't work you will have to go to NERA, National Employment Rights Association, for advice.

Tread carefully when dealing with Irish Employers, under law you can be dismissed for no reason for up to 6 months if you don't "fit in" and up to 2 years from start of employment "at the employers discretion". So it looks as if for 2 years you have little or no protection from dismissal. Hence keep it unemotional and strictly business in all your dealings with your boss and payroll. On the other hand if you let them away with alleged short paying you you will come across as too soft to be given more demanding work tasks.....
    this will come against you especially in finance oriented jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

doolox wrote: »

Tread carefully when dealing with Irish Employers, under law you can be dismissed for no reason for up to 6 months if you don't "fit in" and up to 2 years from start of employment "at the employers discretion". So it looks as if for 2 years you have little or no protection from dismissal.

This is not true. It depends on a number of circumstances. Nowhere in any employment law does it mention "fit in" or "at employers discretion". If you are on probation, the employer can let you go for any reason during that probation, as long as they give clear reason, and that this reason is not against the law. After the probationary period is up, they can only let you go if it is in line with the company's written disciplinary procedure, which you must be given a copy of. Under no circumstances may an employer dismiss you, whether you are on probation or not, for insisting that you be paid the correct pay.

With regard to pay, keep all your records of hours worked, times taken for breaks, etc. If you are required to pay for uniforms, etc that are supplied by your employer, the cost deducted from your wages cannot exceed the value of the equipment you receive (less the VAT the employer pays on it). Further, no deductions can be made from your wages without your explicit written approval. If it is in your contract or terms of employment that certain deductions are made, you need to have been shown a copy of this term, and it specifically made clear and known that it was there, before you signed, otherwise it is illegal.

I would ask you boss to sign a record of the hours you worked every day/week, including your breaks. This should then be scanned and emailed to your payroll section, and also to an external email address. All correspondance between you, your boss, and the payroll section need regarding your pay, should be by email, and should be copied to an external email address for your future reference.

If you don't get any satisfaction within a few weeks, go to NERA. They can then intervene on your behalf with the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

Couldn't have said it any better. :D

The only exception to the equipment / uniform rule would be the provision of Personal Protective Equipment. This clothing / equipment must be (by law) supplied free byyour employer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement