Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The American Dream

Options
  • 05-08-2010 12:51am
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

Self Explanatory really

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

He's a legend of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Self Explanatory really

Not really.

All I know is you've posted some video, in a thread entitled "the American Dream". This doesn't really explain much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Self Explanatory really

had a look at it,

so we have some self confessed craply educated guy on stage doing a rant about the country......

I dont know this guy, any chance of who he is????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

robtri wrote: »
    had a look at it,

so we have some self confessed craply educated guy on stage doing a rant about the country......

Its George Carlin. He's a comedian. Actually a pretty funny guy as well.

He makes some good points, but draws the wrong conclusions, imo. Like he raises the issues of the huge lobby that corporations have over government in the US, but then cheapens it by claiming they also control the education system in order to keep you dumb. I'm sure there are plenty of PhD physicists that came through the education system that are far from dumb!

He's just rabble rousing, but he's an entertainer, I doubt he believes everything he says.

I prefer his rants about religion:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I always liked his religious rants-still doesnt get anywhere near Bill Hicks.Sadly both are dead

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    Not really.

All I know is you've posted some video, in a thread entitled "the American Dream". This doesn't really explain much at all.
    are you taking the piss ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

digme wrote: »

Why would he be? What's the Conspiracy? I suppose there are thousands of Irish peopel who emigrated to the US who can't wait to come back to the Irish dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

The conspiracy is explained in the video.

Torakx wrote: »
    The conspiracy is explained in the video.

which is a comedy set on stage....

I sometimes find smart people are dumb when it comes to certain things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I sometimes find smart people are dumb when it comes to certain things.
    Cut it out.

which is a comedy set on stage....

Yes it is a comedy set. Should i pretend i dont know what your insinuating by that comment and ask a rhetorical question?
    Lets just say i dont agree with what your insinuating.Its quite obvious and irrelevant imo.
    Thats the CT take it or leave it i would say to everyone.Irregardless of the setting.

Torakx wrote: »
    Yes it is a comedy set. Should i pretend i dont know what your insinuating by that comment and ask a rhetorical question?
    Lets just say i dont agree with what your insinuating.Its quite obvious and irrelevant imo.
    Thats the CT take it or leave it i would say to everyone.Irregardless of the setting.

just so i am clear the CT is based on this guys comedy routine.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

just so i am clear the CT is based on this guys comedy routine.....

wrong way round, Carlins Comedy routines are based on CT

if that helps make sense of the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

yekahs wrote:
    He makes some good points, but draws the wrong conclusions, imo. Like he raises the issues of the huge lobby that corporations have over government in the US, but then cheapens it by claiming they also control the education system in order to keep you dumb. I'm sure there are plenty of PhD physicists that came through the education system that are far from dumb!

He's just rabble rousing, but he's an entertainer, I doubt he believes everything he says.

Ah yes, but are those physicists capable of critical thinking?

And if so, are they allowed to share critical thoughts without fear of intimidation by their employer? or persecution by people more heavily influenced by the indoctrination process we're all subjected to growing up?

People who exhibit autistic behaviours can be high achievers in science, art and music.

However, autistic people may lack social skills, which other people in society take for granted, and as a result, autistic people may give the appearance of being "dumb" or less intelligent.

Of course, you should never judge a book by its cover just as you can't judge a person by their appearance.

Presumably not every intelligent person is capable of critical thinking just as autistic people aren't capable of interacting well in social gatherings.

Carlin argues the modern day education system is merely an instrument of corporations.The curriculum is designed so that the end product knows how to be an obedient servant of corporate interests and nothing else.

That's clearly the MO of any education system across the world today.
    We're not taught to look at everything that is wrong with our system of authority, only those of our enemies or of historical interest.

Any criticism or dissent about the current system is confronted by idiots calling you "crazy".. "unpatriotic" ..you might even get called a "terrorist" just for sharing a critical opinion about your government.

There are certainly not enough critical thinkers in the world today, if there were, it might be a more stable world to live in.

digme summarized it better for me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Nope.

I was sitting at a computer on a system which blocks active content....so all I knew was that there's a video which was somehow "self-explanatory".

Putting my moderator hat on for a moment...,

I'd additionally point out that it is requested in the charter: to give as much information as you can. If you think that's an unreasonable section of the charter, then lets discuss it in the Feedback section, rather then suggest people are taking the piss for sayong out that "self-explanatory", well, isn't.

wrong way round, Carlins Comedy routines are based on CT

if that helps make sense of the topic.

i can see where you are coming from..

just being reading up on George, and he seems a good guy, but i think my understanding of him is that at end of the day it is just a comedy act nothign more, made to make people laugh and pay him money.

I would give that clip no more credence than his claim in one of his books that he whorships the sun, because he can see it.....

(he doesnt, he is an athesist and was only making a joke)

Yes he was an athiest and joked more about god being not real and how stupid people were for believing in one than he did joke about elites ruling the country.Maybe he was lying about one and not the other for comedic purposes or maybe he justs believed in both.
    Either way i stil love some of his standup shows and think he is intelligently hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

had a look at it,

Had a look at it myself, me also being craply educated, out of the Irish education system since 14, no exams taken, but that doesn't make me thick, actually the longer you stay in education the thicker you get(no offence to anybody).
    I know more educated fools, one idiot I kinda know, went to university till he was almost 30 I'd rekon, last time I saw him he was sweeping the floor in mc D's.

Intelligence doesn't come from education, its in you or it ain't.

I like the way he says what he says, couldn't say it better myself, the american illusion I call it.

I remember my first trip to the US, I was fukking shocked, I partly blame my mother for that, watching Dallas (I shot JR) and all that crap, all I saw was food stamp fed people, the divide is unreal, but thats everywhere, was asked by a down on her luck lady if I wanted a BJ for $5, I declined but gave her $20.

Anyway good video BB, and the video is self explaing if it's actually watched.

bonkey wrote: »
    Nope.

I was sitting at a computer on a system which blocks active content....so all I knew was that there's a video which was somehow "self-explanatory".

Putting my moderator hat on for a moment...,

I'd additionally point out that it is requested in the charter: to give as much information as you can. If you think that's an unreasonable section of the charter, then lets discuss it in the Feedback section, rather then suggest people are taking the piss for sayong out that "self-explanatory", well, isn't.
    You have a major habit of not watching videos and commenting about them so I had to ask you.But I do agree with you he should have added a little description along with the video.

• Advertisement
Advertisement