Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC Build TV card advice

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all

I've been a member on boards for some time but have mainly used the adverts section and tapped some threads for pearls of wisdom. I enjoy building pc's as a hobby and have recently decided to build a HTPC. I've bought most of the hardware (with the exception of the TV card), for anyone interested the specs are:

AMD Phenom II 555 CPU (hoping to unlock the 2 closed cores with asus core unlocker, mainly cos the functionality is there)
    Asus M4A88TD-V Evo M-ATX motherboard
    4GB OCZ 1600mhz DDR3 Ram
    XFX 5670 1GB GPU for HDMI video & sound
    OCZ 30gb SSD for OS
    1TB WD Caviar Green HDD Storage
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 500W Modular PSU
    LG 10X Blu Ray Drive
    Techsolo-TC380 case
    Win 7 & MCE

Anyway to the point of this thread... TV Cards.... I'm completely inexperienced in this area so I've spent the last few nights trying to get a handle on how to easily set up tv on my build. Correct me if I'm wrong but what I've gathered so far is... As I'm with UPC digital my options are limited. I take it from my research the most practical and legal way to achieve this is to connect the UPC set top box to the tv card in my htpc, and use an IR blaster to change channels but this will unfortunately convert my digital signal to analogue. Its the how well this works part that I would like some advice on along with what's the best card to do the job?

Re - How well it works...
    Essentially a lot of the stuff on the net is generic or a couple of year old. I'm interested to see who has gone this route with UPC and your afterthoughts on it. I've been looking but haven't found any info regarding once the above approach is set up how well it works re image quality and how well integrates with WME, its Green Button TV guide and its record TV feature, or if its possible to record one channel and view another?

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Advertisement