Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

string making ?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hey all jus wanted to ask bout making a string for my bow. does anyone here have any experiance making up strings even web sites with the info would help. tanx .

Ginja Ninja

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Most of the clubs will have someone that does it every so often. I've done a few bad ones over the years, it's not especially difficult tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

hey all jus wanted to ask bout making a string for my bow.
    Ginja Ninja

There are a few bits of equipment you'll have to get, and they are not entirely cheap. Do ya have all the gear?

If not, you'll need a string jig and a serving jig, as well as the right string material. To be honest, its often better just to buy premium strings and be done with it, but if you have all the gear there was a website I found a while ago that went through the process, I'll dig it out .................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Try Youtube for video.

Simon Needhams book, 'Archery- The Art of Repetition', goes into it.

Google 'The Archers Reference' and download that PDF- it has instructions also- and is free!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tmg

Here is a link to a decent article on the topic (although I dont subscribe to the way he ends his serving).

http://www.mac.asn.au/string_making.htm

cheers

t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheGinjaninja

my bow is a hand made long bow so it not a normal length

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Maicros

That shouldn't be an issue really. If you get a 68" recurve string then measure the lenght of the string at the brace height that you require for your bow then unwind the string completly and re-measure. The difference in lenght is the extra you will need for your string.

For example you find the difference between the first and second lenghts is 3 inches. Then you add thoose 3 inches onto the lenght of your bow, this should leave you with the correct string lenght and brace height.

As for the odd lenght most string jigs are able to make strings for compounds which can be two or three times the lenght of a recurve. So lenght won't be an issue. Chris from my club, Ashwood Archers, is very adept at making strings with about half of us prefering his to the off the shelf strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sitka

I will give you the name of a string making company in America that will make you a string when I get home this evening. I use this company all the time.
    Let me know if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sitka

Look into the site link below and send an email to Mike,
    I have had many strings made by this company and they are good.

http://www.hmbowstrings.com/

Advertisement