Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New windows or Insulation

Options
  • 04-08-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey all

hopefully you can give me some help here
    Have old bungalow with extension.
    Extension of house in the winter is like ice. Drafts everywhere think it was a council job just fecked it up.
    As title says what would i be better doing first?
    Only afford one.
    Will getting new double upvc a rated windows do a better job now than getting the walls insulated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Walls insulated . They are a larger surface area to loose heat from so it's more important to improve here first. Together with heavy curtains you will find the difference in comfort and reduced fuel bills .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hey all

hopefully you can give me some help here
    Have old bungalow with extension.
    Extension of house in the winter is like ice. Drafts everywhere think it was a council job just fecked it up.
    As title says what would i be better doing first?
    Only afford one.
    Will getting new double upvc a rated windows do a better job now than getting the walls insulated.

Thanks

+1

And get rid of the draughts. I did a job on my mams house a few years back and draugtproofed it so tight, the coal fire wouldn't light for want of air. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 plainjane81

cool thanks guys getting a quote in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

Hi there,

Definitely Draft proof and Insulate first ... without a doubt ..

changing windows can create other jobs, for example it might mean looking at new tiling etc in bathrooms and kitchens if the windows are connected to them and they will get broken during the uninstalling of your old windows.

You should take a good look at the insulation options (wall pumping, external insulation, etc) the grant is there for all types ... but I seriously have my doubts about alot of the wall pumping that is going on ..

I have not heard of any company using cameras during or thermal imaging cameras post the wall pumping to check if the pump has been effective. So how does anybody know what is in there after the job is done !?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Yeah,

Do the walls and think about putting in a new high output rad if you have an old one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Can you replace the glass in the windows as well? A-rated windows doesn't mean much, ask suppliers for a certified U-value.

Advertisement