Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire keeps losing signal

Options
  • 04-08-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    My Desire seems to be very often just dropping connection for no reason. I posted about it before and someone suggested upgrading the Sim card, which I did but it didn't help.

The problem seems to have gotten worse since upgrading to Froyo as well. Before it might happen every couple of days, but now it's several times a day.

I would notice the screen saying "limited service" and an X beside the signal bars. I would then put the phone in and back out of Airplane mode, and signal would be restored.

It's getting annoying now that it's happening more often, so I'm wondering if there's a fix for this?

I'm on Meteor, but I have doubts it is anything to do with the mobile provider.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey,
    My Desire seems to be very often just dropping connection for no reason. I posted about it before and someone suggested upgrading the Sim card, which I did but it didn't help.

The problem seems to have gotten worse since upgrading to Froyo as well. Before it might happen every couple of days, but now it's several times a day.

I would notice the screen saying "limited service" and an X beside the signal bars. I would then put the phone in and back out of Airplane mode, and signal would be restored.

It's getting annoying now that it's happening more often, so I'm wondering if there's a fix for this?

I'm on Meteor, but I have doubts it is anything to do with the mobile provider.

Thanks

I'm having the exact same issue with mine. I haven't tried upgrading the sim but I don't think it's gonna help seeing as it is newish.

Sorry also to mention that I'm with meteor too

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Happens me too. There is another thread here about it entitled 'Android and Meteor' or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

Same problem with my Nexus One on Meteor. It gets worse when you use the phone for internet tethering. I'd change networks but everyone else seems more expensive!

(Download 'Airplane Toggle Widget' to deal with it slightly faster)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Theres a thread here about the issue and a couple on the Meteor forums.
    Some people (like myself and a good few others with Meteor) dont have this issue at all. Others however like those that have posted here do.
    Most people blame the Meteor network setup and I think Meteor may have said there is an issue in certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

This issue has been well documented with pretty much any Android phone on Meteor since they started selling the Hero. Meteor doesn't seem to be interested in or capable of fixing.

From what I've read*, it occurs when you move from an area with 3G coverage to an area with EDGE coverage only. Coverage can be regained by setting the phone to Airplane Mode and back again to reset the radio (this is quicker than rebooting). Another option, if you don't need 3G, is to set mobile data to use 2G only, which prevents the problem occurring.

*Never had the issue myself on O2 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Also with Meteor. Have seen it about 3 times now. A bit of a pain but at least the airplane mode toggle fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Same problem with my Nexus One on Meteor. It gets worse when you use the phone for internet tethering. I'd change networks but everyone else seems more expensive!

Three is cheaper and you'd have likely better 3G coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Three is cheaper and you'd have likely better 3G coverage.

I wasnt able to get a better deal with three (about 5 weeks ago) those flexi units really made things a bit awkward from what I can see.
    Three didnt have the desire at the time either.
    That said they probably have a better data network

Advertisement