Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian to Irish Adaptor in Limerick

Options
  • 04-08-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Hey, recently came back from Australia and i bought a laptop when i was over there, however I didn't get the chance to get a Australian to Irish conversion plug while I was over there. I have a bad feeling most places will just do Irish to other countries and not the other way around, does anyone know anywhere in Limerick where I can get an Australian (i think its the same as an american plug) to Irish conversion plug in the city? I tried woodies out in Jetland but they only have Irish to other countries.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You can get an international multi-adaptor. An Aus-Ire specific one would be a long shot as you suspect.

Try Debenhams or the UK elec multiples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

What make is is ?

Probably better getting a proper UKI one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Can't tell for sure from where I am right now but.....

...... Most Laptop Power Supplies are 110V-240V Internationally/Globally capable units (ie. the big black brick) - In the packing section of the Factory they just throw in the proper Country specific power cable which all have common ends for plugging into the 'brick' and the the local plug for whatever sockets are there.

Read your A/C Adapter label and if it mentions 220 or 240 volts then you should be good to go by just replacing the actual plug and cable as the conversion is handled automatically.

- In order to be safe and secure it is probably best to seek confirmation of the above - Ring Dalys on William St. and ask for Roger - He knows his stuff and will prob have something in stock, the below shows 3 versions of the most common shamrock/clover leaf configuration with the UK/IRE one being last.

ebest24b087em.jpg

ebest24b962em.jpg

BLK-CC1003auk06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Tesco/dunnes/argos have little travel section.

Its just an adaptor does not change voltage but does all countries.

Argos 982/7590 €6.89

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hey, recently came back from Australia and i bought a laptop when i was over there, however I didn't get the chance to get a Australian to Irish conversion plug while I was over there. I have a bad feeling most places will just do Irish to other countries and not the other way around, does anyone know anywhere in Limerick where I can get an Australian (i think its the same as an american plug) to Irish conversion plug in the city? I tried woodies out in Jetland but they only have Irish to other countries.

Cheers.

I think I have one,If I can find it and seeing as the thing it was bought for is now broke you can have it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Maplins

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Australia runs at 240v, Ireland/UK runs at 220v so you should be able to just use a travel adaptor on the existing charger to my knowledge.

Something like this should do:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/US-EU-AU-UK-AC-POWER-PLUG-ADAPTER-TRAVEL-CONVERTER-/120480986839?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_TravelTickets_Accessories_RL&hash=item1c0d39f6d7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

In most DIY shops, you can buy an Irish plug-end. Simply snip off the Australian one and wire-up the Irish one. It's very easy, I've done it on stuff I brought from Australia to Ireland & vice versa.

They cost very little & you never have to worry about the adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Most of the time applicances are safe to use despite voltage differences (as bazz26 pointed out).

If it were me, I'd just take off the the Australian plug and re-wire it too a an Irish plug. I know it's what we did with a lot of devices years back when making the move. No point having the Australian plug + adaptor bulk, unless you plan to travel back and forth regularly. Cheaper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

American/Australasian/Euro to UK Mains adaptor

Code - DV95D

• Advertisement
Advertisement