Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Cert

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I recently obtained a marriage certificate for some ancestors in 1882. The bride is proving somewhat elusive to get any information on. According to the 1901 census she was born in Poonah in India but I cannot find anything on her. I'm thinking this is because she is RC and maybe the records for RC births in Poonah are not widely available through the LDS search.

Anyway, her residence on the marriage certificate is 'Marino, Clontarf'. I'm wondering shy she does not have an exact address on the cert? Or at the time, was Marino outside of Dublin City? Does anybody know what Marino was like at that time?

Also, on marriage certs, it lists the fathers name, does anybody know, if the father is deceased at the time of the wedding, does his name still go on the certificate?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Fascinating to find someone born in India then!
    Marino was outside the city then so it may well have been her whole address.
    Re: father's name. He would be listed regardless of whether he was alive or dead. Sometimes they put deceased but there's no standard here. I've seen ones where the father was dead and it was mentioned and ones were it was not mentioned. Sometimes if there's no occupation down, that is in an indication he's dead.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

if you use the more search option in the 1901 census and search for Country of origin, over 500 people in Co Dublin claim to have been born in India. Part of the imperial past. Dublin in particular was a popular recruiting ground for the East India Co.

The database on the FIBIS site might be worth searching for more info :

http://www.fibis.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

Yes the India connection is interesting alright, but is proving a tough nut to crack, which just makes it more interesting!

I will check that link to fibis.org.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I wonder was her father an Army man ?

Many Indian born people of Irish & English families and names I've come across turn out to have military connections.

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    I wonder was her father an Army man ?

Many Indian born people of Irish & English families and names I've come across turn out to have military connections.

I'm wondering that myself, but would have thought it would be easier to find info if he was military. The marriage cert says she was 18 (which would put her birth date around 1883/84), and Roman Catholic, although a member of the family had heard sometime in the past that she was about 16 when she married, that is all she knew about her.

At what age could people marry back then?

• Advertisement

I think I read that the minimum age for marriage in the 1870s and 80s (In England , Ireland etc) was something like 12 for girls and 14 for boys.. but dont know how often that actually happened

Would her birth not have been in around 1864 - i.e. 18 at marriage in 1882 ?

p.s. is father's occupation not on marriage cert ?

Shane

oops I meant 1863/64!!

The marriage cert says 'Rank or Profession of Father' and both fathers are both listed as 'Gents'. I know the father of the groom was an umbrella maker, but I got that from irishgenealogy.ie. It's the brides side I am interested in finding more information on. For this marriage the groom was COI and the bride RC, and according to the 1901 census all of the children were COI! Would it be true to say that COI birth/marriage records are more readily available than catholic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It really depends on what parish you're talking about. Some COI Dublin parish records were sadly destroyed in the same Four Courts fire in which the censuses were lost. Parish records are (generally speaking) going to be available for that period in most places but you need to know what parish to look in.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Many parish records for Dublin City (CofI and RC) are available at : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie

The website also includes records for Kerry (RC & CofI), Carlow (CofI) and parts of Cork (RC). More are due to be added later this year.

Shane

Advertisement