Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's politically sensitive sematics: Is it Taxpayer's money or Government money?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Anyone else noticed that in general RTE will describe cash spent by the government as "government money" or "state money" or money from the "state's coffers"?
    If you watch American news programs they make no mistake about it and call it taxpayer's money every time. (I'm thinking of NBC news, FOX news, CNN).

Just this morning I heard Miles Dungan on Radio One talk about AIB's woes and a couple of times he mentioned "government money" and "state money" being the possible solution.

It can't be an accident, can it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't see any great mystery here, its not about RTE or anyone other media here being in the governments pocket its about the emphisis in American culture of the people v the state be it collectively or individually. In the USA there is always a distinction between the federal state and the tax payer so DC never forgets its spending other peoples money. We could do with a bit of that here as the state seems to think it owns us all so slack is it with our money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

Its a good point. There is a cultural difference. I was amazed when Lehman's collapsed and the US congress was debating the TARP bailout. I was amazed that congress rejected it the first time around over fears that taxpayers money could potentially be wasted - all the while the banking system was crumbling around them. That took some balls! I think it took a couple of attempts (and some long debates), before they finally passed the bailout.

However I think with the internet, satellite TV etc people are far more media savvy and aware of these semantic and linguistic differences, and to my mind things like this jump out at me.

Perhaps I should have asked a different question: is describing the government's money as "taxpayer's money" too politically sensitive for RTE?

Apart form the cultural differences I think your point hints at another reason: RTE is a part of the "state". And as you say "as the state seems to think it owns us all" well then surely RTE being part of that state must play some part/take some responsibility for informing and projecting that view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

ALL Government money comes from the taxpayer one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

ALL Government money comes from the taxpayer one way or the other.

Precisely my point.

Advertisement