Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Round Draft Pick Money

Options
  • 04-08-2010 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I was watching this and I wanted to hear some other thoughts on the subject.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8198033a/Untested-and-overpaid

I think these guys are getting way to much money considering that none of them have ever steped onto field in a pro game, I've seen to many flops in the past few years and wonder when are they going to say enough and stop paying these hughcontracts and start paying the the players who have been there for sevreal seasons and deserve to get payed.

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

imo shouldnt they by paid an equivalent of the minimum veteran rate until they have shown what they can do. I'd imagine teams that have been burnt by high 1st rounders would be all for this issue. Teams that wasted millions on the likes of Akili smith, Jamarcus Russel, Harrington, Couch, Leaf etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I agree with Max. I'd give them either a minimum rate or a set rookie figure, with their bigger contracts only kicking in after they have played a certain number of downs, maybe 1,000.

That way, busts who don't make it onto the field aren't getting paid millions for sitting about.

It really is crazy that Sam Bradford has signed a $41m contract despite only playing 2 college games in the last 20 months. Maybe he will go on to deserve it, but he shouldn't be getting contracts like that until he's proved himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

This is one of the central elements in the negotiations for the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Teams, and current players, dont want to see untested rookies getting 40-45 million in guarantees but with the current CBA they cant change it. The new deal will see something included to drastically reduce the cash to rookies. A similar deal to the NBA isnt out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

All contracts for first to third rounders - maximum four years
    And then copy the NBA where the annual increases are pre-determined and the contracts are modest enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

This is the last year of the giant rookie contract. Owners will have a lockout if necessary, next season, to ensue this will get changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

As a college football fan, I feel these huge guaranteed money contracts incentivize college players to "bend the rules" regarding performing enhancing drugs. If a player is taken in the first half of the first round of the NFL draft, essentially they are "set for life" financially once the contract is signed. If one signs the contract, gets off the "juice" and their performance doesn't meet expectations - what does it really matter - the money is guaranteed. It comes down to a risk/benefit analysis for the player - and unfortunately I feel many of the players see the financial benefits outweighing the risk of side effects of PEDs.

Advertisement