Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out.

Options
  • 03-08-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am completely new to Kayaking but it is something I have wanted to start for a few years. I did it a couple of times when I was younger in recreational areas such as Carlingford and along the Boyne. My father also did it for years in the Strawberry Beds decades ago.

I have had a look at all the different clubs websites, the procedure seems to be sign up for an introduction course, are these over a few weeks or how long do they last? I do not have any gear at all, is that a problem? Is it too late in the year to try and start this?

I currently work in Leixlip so anywhere around there or Lucan would suit me well, I am also around Navan, Drogheda and Carlow quite a bit so anywhere there would be handy too.

Final question is that does not seem obvious to me is.. how do you get the gear back up the river once you have paddled a long distance down it? :confused::P

Appreciate any advice. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

I have had a look at all the different clubs websites, the procedure seems to be sign up for an introduction course, are these over a few weeks or how long do they last?

It depends on the course some might be over the weekend, some over a few weeks in the evenings.
    I do not have any gear at all, is that a problem? Is it too late in the year to try and start this?

No whoever is doing the course would usually provide equipment. Clubs usually have starter gears as well for new comers.
    Final question is that does not seem obvious to me is.. how do you get the gear back up the river once you have paddled a long distance down it? :confused::P

Have a car/van/transport further down the river where ye'll be getting off :cool:

Advertisement