Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC Art & Design

Options
  • 03-08-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

I have an interview for this course. What kind of things would you put into your portfolio? And what exactly are the interviewers looking for, i.e. are they looking for concepts, far-out ideas, good drawings, etc.

I have designed some logos, made a model of a film set, some pencil drawings, and I have made furniture. I can draw but it is not my forte. Would you need to be a great at drawing? But I make up for my poor drawing skills in imagination and creativity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Hey, I've just completed my fetac course in art. I helped as part of the open day advising students interested in the course so i'll tell you what we were told. Your standard is NOT the most important thing about getting into the course. Someone could be excellent skill wise but have no desire to learn or improve. We were reminded again and again that the most important thing is that you are willing to work and open to constructive criticism. As our tutors used to say the best student wasn't the open who was excellent at the end of the year who came in excellent, it was the student who made the biggest improvement.

Its important to get it across in the interview you have a desire to learn and improve. Perhaps you can tell you know you have room to improve in your drawing and in the time running up until the interview focus on that in preparation.

They're also looking for drive and ambition, whatever that might be. It's not a great idea to go in and when they ask "where do you see yourself in five years or this time next year" say "jeeze, i dunno lol" if you're interested in continuing onto college be able to name a college or two you're interested in. Its ok if you honestly havn't a clue what course you'd like to go on to but there is core year in LSAD and NCAD that would be ideal for that.

The portfolio isn't the most important part, many of those in my plc didn't even bring work. Its all about showing interest and a portfolio can help or hurt this (hurt if you've very little work from the past year and can't show interest leading to interview). Bringing work will show where you're at and can help to show interest especially if you've a sketchbook or two to show you can work daily.

They mainly want people who will come in, work, listen, take on whats said and get through the hard bits. If the course is anything like mine was the first month or so is pure observational drawing. A few in each class dropped out, mainly those who realised art wasn't for them and those who couldn't handle working on the basics before advancing.

Being able to discuss artists you like or a exhibition you've been at will help show interest and awareness.

Bring in some of your work, pick only the best bits and only a selection. Don't be like I was and bring in so much stuff in your portfolio you can barely carry it (not a good look :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Hi spinandscribble. Thanks for your reply. I am mainly interested in graphic design so I can talk about this. I am a very enthusiastic person and normally I am fairly successful in interviews but for some reason I am really apprehensive about this interview.
    This year I really want to stretch myself creatively and am open to all sorts of ideas, so I am willing to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Hi spinandscribble. Thanks for your reply. I am mainly interested in graphic design so I can talk about this. I am a very enthusiastic person and normally I am fairly successful in interviews but for some reason I am really apprehensive about this interview.
    This year I really want to stretch myself creatively and am open to all sorts of ideas, so I am willing to learn.

I think the main thing is to be open to starting over from the very basics and tackling all the modules. drawing is extremely important for graphics, especially if you'll be thinking of applying to the uk.
    Do you keep a sketchbook/ideas book? If you're planning on making more work for the interview, try thinking of your work as starting in the concrete not the abstract because that is how work is done for the plc art and design and this is what they like to see. They like the far out ideas but only with a foundation behind them if you get what i'm saying.
    The slow pace before christmas really frustrated a lot of people in my course so watch out for this and the negativity that can float around (that's moreso advice for once you are in the course).

Advertisement