Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting RPA/Luas Poster at Cherrywood.

Options
  • 03-08-2010 5:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Here is a photo of an ad for the the Luas Cherrywood extention.

http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/p66226281.html

Notice how it says "from here to Brides Glen" and not "Stephen's Green to Brides Glen"

Could you imagine CIE having the mental faculties to put a poster at Mullingar saying "from here to Longford in so many minutes" or promoting the benefit of non end to end rail journies on any of their lines.

The reason is their psychology is not geared towards developing markets for travelling on non end-to-end trips is because Irish Rail reflects the travel lifestyle of the traindrivers and staff and fundementally they cannot grasp the notion that other people apart from Irish Rail staff use these trains. "Drivers and Ticket collectors go from Hueston to Waterford, so why would passenger use the same train from Athy to Killkenny..."

That is just one window into how Irish Rail is only about staff and not building passenger markets. Understand this and you understand the station at Rosslare being moved from the ferry terminal and so on. Everything is developed around the Irish Rail staff requirements and pays no mind to developing and maintaining passenger markets.

"Ferry passengers at Rosslare! Sure there was no parking there for Billy and he would be late home for his tea if trains connected with ferries!"

Can anyone show me one single example in the history of CIE/Irish Rail were they promoted travel between two stations not on each end of a rail route in the same way the Luas poster is above?

They have had 70 years to do this. One poster, advert or flyer.

70 Years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

One of your best posts yet Nostra/Flame/Our Lady......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Irish Rail take you to Iran.:pac:

iarnrod_indo_332103t.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

lord lucan wrote: »

iarnrod_indo_332103t.jpg

Weapons of Mass Disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

lord lucan wrote: »

iarnrod_indo_332103t.jpg

Via the Navan to Drogheda line. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Whats a luas and wheres Brides Glen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They work the same way with their fiddled punctuality and reliability statistics only covering times between terminus stations and screw anyone stuck in between waiting half an hour in the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Actually many stations have their own local timetable posters that are orientated around what time the trains leave the station in question and what other stations are served.

It's better than Dublin Bus which just give the time the service leaves the terminus and leaves the customer to guess when their bus arrives at the intermediate stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

One of your best posts yet Nostra/Flame/Our Lady......:D

this... are you just another re-reg to get around a ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Was actually in Rosslare Harbour last week. Was flabergasted that two trains in the day 12:55 and 17:55 depart 5 minutes before the scheduled arrival of a ship. As I was on the train pulling out of the harbour you could see the ship docking.

It makes absolutely no sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

It should say "from here to Cherrywood" because nobody's heard of Bride's Glen. It's a rural road with a handful of houses along it.

The not connecting with the boat thing is to avoid criticism from people who miss connections: just make the connection impossible. As rewards and punishments in CIE are not linked to customer satisfaction, why would anyone expect the company to focus on that measure? The sole aim is to avoid embarrassment for the minister and his party.

CIE/Irish Rail is acting rationally within the structure under which it is created. The system is at fault - not the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dynamick wrote: »
    It should say "from here to Cherrywood" because nobody's heard of Bride's Glen. It's a rural road with a handful of houses along it.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing, except I hadn't a clue where Bride's Glen was :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

There are two stops in Cherrywood, north and south. They called the southern stop 'Bride's Glen'. In the same way there are two stops in Sandyford Industrial estate. They called one of the stops 'Stillorgan' to much confusion. 2 stops are probably warranted in both locations.

There are two stops in Cherrywood, one either side of the motorway slip road. Can't call them both the same thing...

The Luas has a lot of odd station names along the way that a lot of people had never heard of before it went in. Cowper comes to mind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Colm R wrote: »

"Let me tell you Transportuser09 when I saw the last piece of track being pulled up at Rathmines in 1960, I had a tear come to my eye at how good a job we did. A year later I was supervising the repainting of the station buildings on the West Cork lines so the wrecking crew would feel comfortable and relaxed the following week tearing up more tracks. Yes lad, we did great work. I personally must of supervised the obliteration of 300 miles of rail line under my watch. What, you want me to sign the South Wexford "Farewell Special" programme for you! Be delighted son! It brings so much joy to my heart to see young lads like you joining the IRRS and salivating as a whole new slew of rail clousers coming. I thought I was going to die in misery seeing the rail network expanded. But now I know I will die happy as most of the rail network is now going. *sniff" A CIE man right to the end son, *sniff" CIE man right to the end..."

Does the above make any sense either. But that's what is going on for 70 years and it's open season once again on the rail network.

The IRRS have elected a new Committee:

"Let me tell you Transportuser09 when I saw the last piece of track being pulled up at Rathmines in 1960, I had a tear come to my eye at how good a job we did. A year later I was supervising the repainting of the station buildings on the West Cork lines so the wrecking crew would feel comfortable and relaxed the following week tearing up more tracks. Yes lad, we did great work. I personally must of supervised the obliteration of 300 miles of rail line under my watch. What, you want me to sign the South Wexford "Farewell Special" programme for you! Be delighted son! It brings so much joy to my heart to see young lads like you joining the IRRS and salivating as a whole new slew of rail clousers coming. I thought I was going to die in misery seeing the rail network expanded. But now I know I will die happy as most of the rail network is now going. *sniff" A CIE man right to the end son, *sniff" CIE man right to the end..."

Does the above make any sense either. But that's what is going on for 70 years and it's open season once again on the rail network.

The IRRS have elected a new Committee:

IMG_5235_st_michans_mummies.jpg

What has that got to do with anything?

What has that got to do with anything?

thats just typical of any rail related thread in here at the moment and I for one am getting sick of it :(

thats just typical of any rail related thread in here at the moment and I for one am getting sick of it :(

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Colm R wrote: »
    Was actually in Rosslare Harbour last week. Was flabergasted that two trains in the day 12:55 and 17:55 depart 5 minutes before the scheduled arrival of a ship. As I was on the train pulling out of the harbour you could see the ship docking.

Bus Éireann run 20 services from Rosslare to Dublin, giving an average wait time of a little over half an hour. I'd say the're faster and cheaper than the train too and also they will run if it rains a bit too hard for the train....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I was reading about an offer where you get the train from dublin get off in kildare and get a free shuttle bus to kildare village and the get 10% your shopping with your ticket. and it's 10euro return. they don't mention anything bout if you're coming from anywhere else on that line or if the offer would even apply :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 patchmck

Man! Did anyone find out where this mythical Bride's Glen stop actually is? Need to know, it might be closer to my gaf than the cherrywood stop.

You'd think they'd have a map up by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

It is to the west of Cherrywood business park at the far end of the car park.

patchmck wrote: »
    Man! Did anyone find out where this mythical Bride's Glen stop actually is? Need to know, it might be closer to my gaf than the cherrywood stop.

You'd think they'd have a map up by now

mythical, hardly. it's visible from the road to the M50 and easy to get to in the Industrial Estate

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Its right here
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Luas has a lot of odd station names along the way that a lot of people had never heard of before it went in. Cowper comes to mind

Thought everyone knew of Cowper.

Isn't that where the General used to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Thought everyone knew of Cowper.

Cowper isn't actually an area though, it's Cowper road, there is no such place as Cowper, other than the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

I've always suspected that some of the Green line stops were named by estate agents. Stillorgan stop isn't near Stillorgan. Sandyford is nowhere near Sandyford. Is Brides Glen stop actually accessible from Brides Glen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

steve-o wrote: »
    Is Brides Glen stop actually accessible from Brides Glen?

Yeah, you walk down the Cherrywood road, through a short cut up into the park land surrounding Cherrywood industrial park, then into the back of Cherrywood industrial park to get to the Brides Glen stop.

Living in the area, I'm not entirely sure where the Cherrywood stop actually is. Somewhere is the middle of the wasteland that is up there I'm assuming. If it is it's completely pointless IMO.

Living in the area, I'm not entirely sure where the Cherrywood stop actually is. Somewhere is the middle of the wasteland that is up there I'm assuming. If it is it's completely pointless IMO.

semi-pointless at least. it serves that horrible apartment complex and no doubt will be busier than Bridges Glen as people will park along the roads to use it inbound there rather than be clamped in the estate IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

semi-pointless at least. it serves that horrible apartment complex and no doubt will be busier than Bridges Glen as people will park along the roads to use it inbound there rather than be clamped in the estate IMO

The apartment complex is a five minute walk at most to the stop in the industrial estate. There is no other road or access point around there to justify having it. Even if anybody finally builds on the land, the "Brides Glen" stop will still be five minutes away from everything there.

• Advertisement

The apartment complex is a five minute walk at most to the stop in the industrial estate. There is no other road or access point around there to justify having it. Even if anybody finally builds on the land, the "Brides Glen" stop will still be five minutes away from everything there.

people are lazy and a 2 min walk is better than a 5 min one. its there, it'll be open, it'll be used.

Advertisement