Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible ID for odd creature

Options
  • 03-08-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Didn't see this myself & have no pics but following description from neighbour:

Mammal, about size of Jack Russell, fox-red colour longish fur, no tail, shortish snout.

Was dead on side of road. Then her OH saw one running up road in same area. Neither of them could identify what it was & both would be pretty clued up on local wildlife. Lack of tail has us stumped :D

I'm thinking possibly muntjac?

Have seen all of the following in the area: badger, fox, pine marten, mink, red squirrel, hare, rabbit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

LisaO wrote: »
    Didn't see this myself & have no pics but following description from neighbour:

Mammal, about size of Jack Russell, fox-red colour longish fur, no tail, shortish snout.

Was dead on side of road. Then her OH saw one running up road in same area. Neither of them could identify what it was & both would be pretty clued up on local wildlife. Lack of tail has us stumped :D

I'm thinking possibly muntjac?

Have seen all of the following in the area: badger, fox, pine marten, mink, red squirrel, hare, rabbit.

Very intriguing - what general part of the country? Fur sounds wrong for Muntjac (the description sounds wrong for most things I can think of!

Is it still on the road?

The only thing I can think of is a damaged or partly scavenged (hence tail-less) fox cub.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

LostCovey wrote: »
    Very intriguing - what general part of the country? Fur sounds wrong for Muntjac (the description sounds wrong for most things I can think of!

Is it still on the road?

The only thing I can think of is a damaged or partly scavenged (hence tail-less) fox cub.

LostCovey

Hi LostCovey.

South East, inland area. Very rural, farmland with wooded areas, both deciduous & (small) evergreen plantations with small river running through the area.

It's not still on the road or I would have gone to have a good look for myself. The dead one on the road was a few months back but the live sighting was in the past week.

My initial thought was also that the tail had been scavenged but the live one didn't have a tail either.

My other thought was some kind of water rodent, maybe like a coypu but I'm sure they have a long, rat-like tail :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Muntjac are living along the Avonmore river valley in Wicklow alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

i reckon it's a dead fox. alot of gun club members stop and remove the tails off dead foxes!

Sonovagun wrote: »
    i reckon it's a dead fox. alot of gun club members stop and remove the tails off dead foxes!

I agree, and have found tail-less fox carcasses in our land, clearly thrown off the road.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Sonovagun wrote: »

Unlikely - a live one was also seen, again with no tail. And people who saw it would definitely be able to identify a fox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

someone mentioned muntjac, but are they in ireland?? just taught they were in the uk

LisaO wrote: »
    Unlikely - a live one was also seen, again with no tail. And people who saw it would definitely be able to identify a fox.

Was the live one also furry? It sounds bizarre!

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Marmalade Manx Cat ?

recedite wrote: »
    Marmalade Manx Cat ?

AAAAaaaaaahhhh YES!!!! Good thinking Recedite

Brilliant suggestion. the rest of us got way too wrapped up in wild/feral possibilities

LostCovey

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleseven/4365920164/sizes/o/in/photostream/

• Advertisement
Advertisement