Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offline equivalent to google maps?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭

I'm going on holidays in a few weeks outside the EU. I'm wondering if there is an equivalent of google maps available which will let you download a country map and then just use GPS/AGPS for location like tomtom or garmin etc. I want to turn off mobile network and just use GPS so I don't get a huge bill (It's about 10 euro per meg in Asia with meteor)

Cheers folks

Edit: I'm using an unbranded/unlocked/unrooted HTC Desire with Meteor

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The free application mapdroyd will give you downloadable maps to your SD card but won't do navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Buy a Vodafone SIM and top it up.

Use Live! APN and its only 99c a day, same price as here.

I used Google maps loads when I was away and it didn't get near the 50mb limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Canluum

Keith186 wrote: »
    Buy a Vodafone SIM and top it up.

Use Live! APN and its only 99c a day, same price as here.

I used Google maps loads when I was away and it didn't get near the 50mb limit.
    That pretty much only works in europe though, not in asia where the OP is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Canluum wrote: »
    That pretty much only works in europe though, not in asia where the OP is going.

It works anywhere Vodafone has a data roaming agreement. I've used it in South Africa myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I used it in the states too worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll look into the SIM thing. I had checked out that map droyd and the only problem was the lack of actual navigation. I'm going to Japan and I don't think there is a Japan map for Co-pilot (And neither did AndNav2).

I'll let ye know how I get on in my search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

If your only going to Japan, then Vodafone might be ok, but I know when I was in SE Asia, Vodafone could only offer roaming in (parts of) Thailand.

Meteor on the other hand had coverage nearly every where I went except Laos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

If your only going to Japan, then Vodafone might be ok, but I know when I was in SE Asia, Vodafone could only offer roaming in (parts of) Thailand.

Meteor on the other hand had coverage nearly every where I went except Laos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Can the mapdroyd app show your location on the map via GPS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Can the mapdroyd app show your location on the map via GPS?

Yes It can show your location but you cannot add destinations to the maps. So you are just using it like a map book.

Advertisement