Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question on renewing maintainance grant...

Options
  • 03-08-2010 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I'm 24 and entering the 4th year of my course (last year). Started it when I was 18, completed 2 years then left half way into third year (I got the maintainance grant that year). I went back last year and completed third year and didn't get the grant because I'd already gotten it for third year when I dropped out. This year I am entitled to get the maintainance grant because I haven't gotten it for 4th year... still following? lol

My question is, I am planning on moving out in 2 weeks (currently live at home). I work part time and would just about be able to sustain myself. I'm wondering if it would affect my chances of getting the grant renewed though? Or if I would get less money since I am not living at home? Basically my question is, should I apply as an independant 24 year old with a part time job to sustain myself or a 24 year old dependant on his parents who both have full time jobs? Financially, which would be be better for me?

I've been living with my parents for the past year and a half and started working part time in December 2009.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

You are eligible for a grant in 4th year but I don't think you'll be an independent mature candidate. You have to have lived away from how since October of the year before. So if you're applying for the grant this academic year (2010-11) you have to have lived away from home since October 2009.

I think you may have to apply as dependent this year and if you're studying next year you can apply as an independent.

You would probably get more as an independent though if you just have a part time job (which I assume would not pay that much). As an independent you also automatically get a non-adjacent rate. Like if you live a two minute walk away from your college you'll be paid the same as someone who lives a two hour drive away.

If you plan to do Masters of some sort in the future I suggest you move out anyway. Collect a lot of things that prove beyond a doubt that you've been living away from home (i.e. Bills, registration with the PRTB etc.) and apply as an independent then.

You may (and I stress the may part) be able to able under a the "adverse change in circumstances" part of the form if there is a reason for leaving home but I honestly don't think you can. That part of the form is usually for a loss of income in the family such as death, illness, redundancy etc.

Advertisement