Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent allowance AFTER starting btea?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there,

As far as I can see, if you receive rent allowance now it is possible to continue to receive rent allowance when your jobseekers allowance changes to the back to education allowance, for example in September when colleges start back.
    However, is it possible to claim rent allowance AFTER your jobseekers allowance has changed to btea?
    I am currently living in a place where I am not eligible for rent allowance at the moment, but when college starts, I am moving to a place where I am eligible. However this will be AFTER my btea starts. So can I still get the rent allowance then?

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/
    Are attending full-time education. However, if you are getting a Back to Education Allowance or participating in the Back to Education Programme you may be entitled to the Supplement.

What does this word, may, mean exactly in this context?
    That I am entitled to the supplement providing I meet the usual criteria for eligibility(apart from the full time student bit)?

Can anyone clarify this or been in this position before?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Generally the phrase used is that you continue to receive any secondary benefits to which they would otherwise have an entitlement.

When welfare.ie comes back up (it's offline currently), have a look at the operational guidelines for btea.

Advertisement