Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to bring pup to the Vet?

Options
  • 03-08-2010 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

My 4 month old pup has had watery diarrehoa(sp) last night with a whimper(it obviously hurt her to pass it). She came back in and her gums were very red. I checked her temp and it was 101.3(she did NOT like that).
    At 3.30 this morning, she woke us whimpering and when I let her out in the back agrden there was more explosive farts and diarrhea. The she threw up all yesterdays food un digested. Colour was good, temp same as before.
    This morning a bit quiet, diarr, no appetitie, good colour, norm temp. Showed a bit of spark when she tried to herd the rabbits.
    She has been fully vaccinated so I know its not a killer, but when is it vet serious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Id ring the vets & ask their opinion.
    If she's drinking water to stay hydrated then she should be ok, it could be just a bug & something she ate but I would ring the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Jinxi, take here to the vet, probably has a tummy bug, puppies are very susceptable to bugs. Don't give her any more food. The vet will almost certainly tell you to not feed her at all for 24 hours (just lots of water). I assume

My own puppie (7 weeks) is suffering too. Almost the same symptoms as yours except for the vomiting. The smell is absolutely gross!! Anyway I stopped feeding her at 5 last evening and she was very lethargic last night. However I took her outside and she did the whole diarrhea/farting thing and she was much better after that. She was propably suffering wind/cramps.

Anyway bring her to the vet just to be sure. Its unlikely she has parvo but even the small risk is too much to take a chance on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

2 day rule in my house!

Give it 24hrs for the worst of it to happen,starve her from then until 48hrs (with plenty of water). If no improvement straight to the vet. 101.3oF is a normal temperature for a dog. Once it starts going above 102 id bring her straight in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 equinestudent

Hi Jinxi,
    It's probably nothing serious, maybe something she ate. I'd just give her some chicken or something plain today and see how she goes. As the previous post said, once she's drinking plenty of water she'll probably be back to normal in no time!

If it were me I'd treat her the same as I would treat myself-if it lasts any longer than a few days and she's not eating then contact the vet (doctor for me!). Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. If she's still like she was when I had her then I'm sure she'll have eaten something she shouldn't!!

Hope she gets better soon, let me know how she is! :)

Elaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Jinxi wrote: »
    My 4 month old pup has had watery diarrehoa(sp) last night with a whimper(it obviously hurt her to pass it). She came back in and her gums were very red. I checked her temp and it was 101.3(she did NOT like that).
    At 3.30 this morning, she woke us whimpering and when I let her out in the back agrden there was more explosive farts and diarrhea. The she threw up all yesterdays food un digested. Colour was good, temp same as before.
    This morning a bit quiet, diarr, no appetitie, good colour, norm temp. Showed a bit of spark when she tried to herd the rabbits.
    She has been fully vaccinated so I know its not a killer, but when is it vet serious?

Just to clarify something in your post, just because she's fully vaccinated doesn't mean that she can't die from something. Vaccinations don't cover everything. If she has ingested something she couldn't, it could kill her, and obviously theres no vaccination for that.

I'm not saying that she's so ill at the moment, that she's going to die, but please don't use the 'she's been fully vaccinated, so I know its not a killer' as a reason not to take her to a vet now, or in the future.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would second what ISDW said, my friend nearly lost her dog 2 years ago due to what the vet was sure was Parvo, despite being fully vaccinated just 4 months before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

On the way to the vet. She isn't drinking any water. I assumed it couldn't be parvo due to vacc's:(
    Elaine, I just took some new photos yest for you...will be there shortly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Innflamed gut was the vets opinion. Of course as soon as we entred the vets clinic Lil got all excited and looked the picture of health. Got that look from the vet nurse...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Jinxi wrote: »
    Of course as soon as we entred the vets clinic Lil got all excited and looked the picture of health. Got that look from the vet nurse...:rolleyes:

Yeah they always do that LOL!! Our guy cries for the other dogs in the waiting room to play with him lol! :D

Advertisement