Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC desire update to 2.2 when?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Sniipe wrote: »
    So I'm with O2 and a I know 2 others with the same phone on O2. Me and one of the guys can't get an update but the other person has already upgraded.

according to this site:

If you've got an HTC Desire, you'll be notified the over-the-air update is available to download when your phone automatically checks for software updates - again that will depend on your network.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-desire-android-2-2-update-coming-this-weekend-706700#ixzz0vX9cAvbA
    So does anyone know anything about it?

I think youre in the wrong forum but you'll be waiting a few weeks til o2 push the update... Or you could debrand you're phone, and you should get the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

2.2 update is for unlocked Desires...

if you have a network operators locked handset you will have to wait lol usually about half a year till they push it through...thats why it pays to go to xda and get unofficial which is lol probably gonna be better too

http://www.htc.com/europe/support.aspx?type=Others

2nd post there says its already out...so hence u have to wait for your netword provider or try XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

thats why it pays to go to xda and get unofficial

nah, go to xda and have a look at the debranding how-tos and then install a stock ROM.

Relatively painless assuming you have one of the simfree (but branded) o2 phones.

tbh xda has loads of dummie guides...if u cant find certain stuff...search is the magic button :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to android forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Yh either debrand and update or just install froyo rom yourself. Android 7.2 will be out by the time o2 release the froyo update

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Seemingly its easy if you follow this advice http://lifehacker.com/5603695/

well theres a program somewhere on xda for desire to root in one click ;) i remember seeing it on xda front page...once you root it its done and dusted pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

interesting, I didn't think to debrand. I will give it a go. thanks all. (soz Random, didn't realise there was an Android forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I have an unlocked desire, and when i search for the update it says my phone is already upto date. even though im still on 2.1-update1...
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭emo72

Korvanica wrote: »
    I have an unlocked desire, and when i search for the update it says my phone is already upto date. even though im still on 2.1-update1...

yea thats correct. we will have to wait till o2 update it, and that could take months. or we root it ourselves and that takes a bit of effort.

i have chosen not to do it. it looks a bit complicated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

emo72 wrote: »
    yea thats correct. we will have to wait till o2 update it, and that could take months. or we root it ourselves and that takes a bit of effort.

Rooting with the unrevoked method is as easy as it gets. http://unrevoked.com/recovery/

I rooted mine that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dont think it will take that long for the "update" to be released by official method to O2 phones.

Meteor has had it pushed in the past week, O2 cant be that far behind........

All this rooting and stuff and "unofficial ROMS" really isnt for the faint hearted and those with little time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Korvanica wrote: »
    Try again..I just did on Meteor (14:50 August 9th)... and it is 15% of way through download of 2.2 at 14:55; 31% at 14:57; 38% at 14:58; 46% at 14:59; 53% at 15:00; 60% at 15:01; 67% at 15:02; 75% at 15:03; 82% at 15:04; 90% at 15:05; 100% at 15:06;

No notification : message on page
    I back arrowed to see what to do. Saw Install dialog on screen.

Pressed ok to Install at 15:07.
    Green icon on screen, comprising two arrowed semi-circles at circumference, single down arrow in centre. Green timing bar at bottom of screen. Install done at 15:12

Automatic Reboot at 15:14

Froyoed at 15:15. Job done:-) Screen says Congratulations your phone has been updated to version 2.09.405.8

emo72 wrote: »

I didnt get mine from o2 though, bought it over the net....

Edit: feck it , i might just root it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

kippy wrote: »
    I dont think it will take that long for the "update" to be released by official method to O2 phones.

Meteor has had it pushed in the past week, O2 cant be that far behind........

All this rooting and stuff and "unofficial ROMS" really isnt for the faint hearted and those with little time on their hands.

It you see your network's logo anywhere on the screen when you turn on your phone, its branded.

Meteor didn't push anything. Meteor sell only unlocked and unbranded desires so their phones got the update directly from HTC without any intervention from Meteor.

O2 phones are branded (and maybe also locked, but could be wrong) so can't get updated from HTC, but must wait for o2 to push out the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

floggg wrote: »
    It you see your network's logo anywhere on the screen when you turn on your phone, its branded.

Meteor didn't push anything. Meteor sell only unlocked and unbranded desires so their phones got the update directly from HTC without any intervention from Meteor.

O2 phones are branded (and maybe also locked, but could be wrong) so can't get updated from HTC, but must wait for o2 to push out the update.
    Sorry, kinda what I meant in a roundabout way.
    My point. Rooting is not for everyone - apologies if it came across arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

floggg wrote: »

I got it on Monday 2nd Aug on a Vodafone unlocked and unbranded unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

HTC must have re-opened the froyo dispenser server as some guys on xda-developers are mentioning they just got it as well. Enjoy the download :)

YAY got it!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

so unlocked o2 handset (o2 splash at startup / shutdown) means i'm gonna have to root or will prob never get it?

will using a vodafone sim in the handset effect me getting it when o2 release it?

no its the software that o2 has put on the phone is whats stopping the update...networks like o2 first check the OS and adjust it to its network...kinda tweak it...though quite unnecessary they put their touch to it..this is quite a long process i guess since they never release it quick...

sim has nothing to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Random wrote: »
    so unlocked o2 handset (o2 splash at startup / shutdown) means i'm gonna have to root or will prob never get it?

will using a vodafone sim in the handset effect me getting it when o2 release it?
    Won't make any difference. It's the ROM on the phone that matters. As far as the phone is concerned a branded ROM and a stock ROM are two different things altogether. The vendor id for a branded ROM would be for example O2___IRL, stock Desires all have a vendor id of HTC___01.

Advertisement