Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Froyo Address the Proxy Settings Issue

Options
  • 03-08-2010 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Simple question really but a big problem. I was amazed when I dsicovered that Eclair did not allow you to enter proxy settings - this is a basic requirement these days escpecially when connecting to a wireless network at most work places. Can anyone tell me if Froyo address this issue & allows you to enter the proxy settings easily?

cheers
    squire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

No it does not and I'm glad you brought this up because I wasnt aware of it. It's not a big issue for me since I dont need to use a proxy at work but I would imagine that this is really pissing off those that have to.

I scanned through this post on the matter: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1273

Comment number 601 on that page suggests using Voice dialling and saying the word "proxy" to bring up the hidden proxy settings but my HTC desire does not have voice dialling so I cant test it. I reckon it just brings up the APN proxy settings anyway. Can someone confirm this?

Note: It seems a lot of people are confusing Mobile Data (3G/APN) proxy settings which can be changed with Wi-Fi proxy settings (which cant be changed).

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

It seems a lot of people are confusing Mobile Data (3G/APN) proxy settings which can be changed with Wi-Fi proxy settings (which cant be changed).
    Agreed. A good amount of the comments on that thread relate to APN Proxy Settings & the workaround for that. It still is not addressing the issue of Proxy Settings. As a Smartphone OS, you would think that allowing businees users to connect to their Exchange Server for email & calendar would be a fairly obvious thing to allow.

A few people mention that the Cyanogenmod ROM has proxy settings in it but again I think that they might be referring to APN Settings.

I can only guess that it's probably a phone security measure. Just like unrooted Android stops you from connecting to ad-hoc WiFi networks which are often used for duping people at netcafes/hotels/airports.

Other theories bandied about are that google prevent it because they want your location so using a proxy can give innacurate results and also using a proxy could mask someone's location to enable the market paid-for apps.

I dont believe those idea as a VPN connection can achieve the same results and Android allows that. Perhaps proxies are inherently unsecure? can someone enlighten us?

here's a workaround for web access through a proxy (web browser only):
    http://gszyszka.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-browse-internet-from-behind.html

The solution described above is to use Fennec, the Android port of Mozilla firefox which allows you to get under the hood and tinker about with the proxy settings. The version of Fennec used in the article is a bit memory hungry and probably unstable but there might be a better version out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

This was available in some of the custom 2.1 roms. I found it in one based on CyanogenMod 5.0.8 for the Hero. Running a testing version of CM6 (2.2) now and it isn't included but may be added in a later version. If you're using custom roms, it might be worth checking out something based on CM 5.0.7 or 5.0.8.

• Advertisement
Advertisement