Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New event for producers to bring their music to get played.

Options
  • 02-08-2010 8:25pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm (re)starting a night called Sample Ed1t where we invite people to bring along a CDR of their own music to give to the DJs to play on the night.

The idea is to get a bit of a community going for music makers to get together and share ideas, give feed back, exchange plug in, buy and sell equipment, make collaborations or remixes or whatever. You get the idea.

You get to hear your track/s played in the venue in front of an audience and get real live feedback and reactions. Plus, since this is Ireland there is also the bribe of a free Sol or two if you participate in the night (i.e. give a CDR)

Any questions?

Oh yeah, haha, Tuesdays at Bia Bar

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9794459&ref=mf

Join the group on FB for info on weekly guest DJs and let me know if you'd be interested in guest DJing too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Hey! Sounds good, love the idea. Your link doesn't seem to be working(for me anyway) found the page by searching facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135687689794459&ref=mf

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Thanks man. Yeah I'll edit it now. Hope to see you down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

fcukin great poster idea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ebaysellerrob

seems like a great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

good luck with this, unfortunatly i live in the whessssssssssst, wish limerick had a night like
    this.

how many songs should be on the cd and is there any info we need like bpm or any thing like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

it seems like an open mic night for electronic producers so i'd say its up to yourself, but treat it like a demo cd to be sent to a label, ie put your strongest track first and bear in mind that a dj is playing them so he'll want to be able to mix it so dont decide to do a 193bpm trip hop track in 7/4.

the flyer has genres and bpms listed, probably intended as a rough guide line.

how many songs should be on the cd and is there any info we need like bpm or any thing like that?

A few of your favorite tracks that you'd enjoy to hear out. You could bring a full CD with 10-15 tracks and you could get 3 played on the night. Then maybe some others the next week of the same CD.
    Quiggers wrote: »
    it seems like an open mic night for electronic producers so i'd say its up to yourself, but treat it like a demo cd to be sent to a label, ie put your strongest track first and bear in mind that a dj is playing them so he'll want to be able to mix it so dont decide to do a 193bpm trip hop track in 7/4.

the flyer has genres and bpms listed, probably intended as a rough guide line.

Pretty bang on the money there Quiggers ;)

• Advertisement

Who's music is line up for thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

bit off topic but why do you insert random text in the title box when you post:)

is that really a question.....why do you care

is that really a question.....why do you care
    just curious dude.it wasnt a hostile question.

it doesnt effect me,i just thought it was strange that you enter stuff like dfhsbghshjgjsa instead of just leaving it blank.

just a friendly observation but if you want to take offence to my query i cant help that

Not fully sure I understand the question.

We do a DJ set where we bring fairly random records (and MP3s for the serato heads) and just play them. When people bring CDRs of their own tunes we decide when is a good time to mix them in with the records.

Anything from downtempo dub tracks from the Orb perhaps to glitchy Autechre stuff and pretty much anything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

seannash wrote: »

it doesnt effect me,i just thought it was strange that you enter stuff like dfhsbghshjgjsa instead of just leaving it blank.

just a friendly observation but if you want to take offence to my query i cant help that

STFU noob!!!!

:mad:

.... :D

TelePaul wrote: »
    STFU noob!!!!

:mad:

.... :D
    :D:D

I ment has any one given you there cdr for the night yet, and if o any one we would know like any one from boards?

I ment has any one given you there cdr for the night yet, and if o any one we would know like any one from boards?

Not yet I don't think.

Anyway, new better venue and much better night!

2u71w7p.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

iamstop wrote: »
    Why can't I edit older posts?

I think it's a boards thing that after a certain amount of replies the posts cannot be changed to maintain continuity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

seannash wrote: »

I was wondering the same thing.

So this week we have the world famous DJ Flip in da house.

J Flip (03/04 World I.T.F Scratching Champion,Ireland)

www.facebook.com/deejayflip
    www.myspace.com/theflipster

Video:

Winning the I.T.F.-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv1j_iJ9L3Q

Marc Stretch & DJ Flip
    Live on stage in Finland.
    http://www.vimeo.com/5533990

DJ Flip bio

WHO IS DJ FLIP?
    by Gorgeous Charisma, Eventage Reporterist, Plowland Daily Mail and Seed Catalog

DJ Flip, the Larry Mullen Jr. of hip-hop, first came in the public's eye…er, no, make that, first came into the public's eye…no, rather, first came into prominence in the public eye (there, that's better) after scratching his way to the winner's seat at the International Turntable Federation's World Championship in 2003/2004. The "slash" between the years is still a mystery to everyone involved. Was it 2003 or 2004? The answer is lost to the ages. What everyone remembers is that an Irish kid touched his records while they were moving, and for some reason this was worthy of special recognition. So they called him the Scratching Champion…or something. It's not like he got a crown. Some say it's a meaningless title, like Miss Universe or Lieutenant Governor. You, gentle reader, might as well be ITF World Champion. It's just that easy!

At any rate, almost no one who saw his performance that day would agree to speak about it. One observer, wishing to remain anonymous, had this to say: "He's no Qbert, but one thing's for certain—his scratch-pickle isn't invisible. We kept asking him to put it away...I mean, there were ladies present!" Local police confirmed at least part of this story. According to Constable Snil Atkerston of the F— Police Department , there indeed were ladies present. He remembers at least two, and one of them wasn't half bad looking. A brunette, possibly. But he was mostly looking at her legs.

The bottom line is this: you don't know DJ Flip. You can't know him. And you should be very thankful for that fact. I wish I had never met him, had never been asked to write these notes, had never been added to his infernal MySpace page. The taint of it is like a stink-palm I'll be shaking for the rest of my days, and I'll never be clean again. As for Flip, he was never clean to begin with. He'll go right on his merry way, living it up like some pill-addled leprechaun, stinking of shamrocks and shoe-leather. He even named his company LuckyCharm Records. I mean, seriously…we get it. Ireland. I've heard about it. It's in all the crosswords. The answer is EIRE…or ERIN. It depends.

So there you have it…or do you? Obviously you don't. Regardless, DJ Flip is here, and he's a hundred and fifty percent in-your-face at all times. He says what he wants, when he wants, where he wants, to who he wants, and then he also says why he wants…uh, something, and sometimes he says how he wants it, as well. He covers the spectrum. He runs the whole gamut…or is it gauntlet? What's the phrase again? I always think it's the one, but it's really the other…damn it! Well, never you mind, because DJ Flip certainly wouldn't. He'd just keep scr-scr-scratchin' and zigga-zag cuttin' and reverse crab-hamstering, or whatever it is he does, and he would look up at you with those laughing Irish eyes, and he would smile. He would smile.

The author would like to thank Grip Grand, who he actually is.

Reminder/bump.

Wednesday at Shebeen, from 8.

Downstairs.

If you missed the news:

Had a great night last night but due to a previous booking there will be no Sample Ed1t on the 29th of September!

It will resume as normal on the 6th of October so have your tracks ready. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

so wednesday night is finished and now tues at bia

henessjon wrote: »
    so wednesday night is finished and now tues at bia

No, bia bar is done for good. Only this Wednesday is postponed. Back on track next Wednesday the 6th in Shebeen at 8 and from then on as normal.

bumpity bump

we gonna tear it down tomorrow in shebeen! from 8

• Advertisement

We got MatJazz on the decks this week. Super DJ orig from Poland so don't miss him.

http://soundcloud.com/matjazz

Advertisement