Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

use 1 receiver to receive from a dual feed and a separate dish

Options
  • 02-08-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

hi
    basically i have a dual feed which has 13 and 19 ,and i plan to install a separate one for 28
    my question is , could i use a diseqc switch to receive everything with one cable?

i dont think its possible tbh because in the settings of my receiver when choosing diseqc, you have to assign each dish to a port of the switch and in this case 1 port will be handling signals from 2 satellites

does anyone have a similar set up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

j4vier wrote: »
    hi
    basically i have a dual feed which has 13 and 19 ,and i plan to install a separate one for 28
    my question is , could i use a diseqc switch to receive everything with one cable?

i dont think its possible tbh because in the settings of my receiver when choosing diseqc, you have to assign each dish to a port of the switch and in this case 1 port will be handling signals from 2 satellites

does anyone have a similar set up?

Not sure if i fully follow what you are saying.
    But speaking for myself I have 4 satellites (Multi-lnb's)
    of the one dish using a diseqc port, one feed to my stb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

see the problem is that i will have 2 dishes, one with a dual feed and one with one lnb

one cable comes out of the dual feed at the moment directly to the receiver, but i wanna view the content of the dish with one lnb as well , so i ll have another cable present

i know diseqc switches work with individual lnb, with the cables from individual lnbs goin into each port, but in my case a port will have the wire for the 2 satellites from the dual feed, and another port will have the cable from the dish with one lnb

what i am wondering how to set the receiver so that it knows for example that 2 sats are coming from 1 port

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

see the problem is that i will have 2 dishes, one with a dual feed and one with one lnb

one cable comes out of the dual feed at the moment directly to the receiver, but i wanna view the content of the dish with one lnb as well , so i ll have another cable present

i know diseqc switches work with individual lnb, with the cables from individual lnbs goin into each port, but in my case a port will have the wire for the 2 satellites from the dual feed, and another port will have the cable from the dish with one lnb

what i am wondering how to set the receiver so that it knows for example that 2 sats are coming from 1 port

Simple, all you need is a 4 way diseqc switch and feed the 2 LNBs from one dish into port 1 and 2 and the 28.2 dish into port 3.Leave port 4 empty.Then feed the one cable from the external output of the switch into your receiver.You then need to choose simple mode diseqc ABCD (this is for Dreambox but it's something similar across the board) and setup ABC accordingly to your feeds.You can have anything you want as D.

I have a similiar setup myself ABC on one dish and D from another being fed into 1 diseqc switch which is mounted outside and water sealed.Only one cable then going into my house and into my DM600.

Hope this helps. :)

hi

Also, you're stating that you have a 'dual feed' which has 13 and 19.I have a feeling that you have both of these running into a 2 way diseqc switch.You just have to remove the 2 way switch and run these 2 cables then into a 4 way switch and combine them with 28.2 going into port 3 (or 4 for that matter but 3 makes it easier when you're setting up receiver).

Also! Don't think in 'dishes', think in 'LNBs'.You have 3 LNBs so stick the 3 of them into a 4 way switch and then cable into the receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

carbsy probably doesn't understand your 13/19 'dual feed' lnb, here is what it looks like (not that common amongst English speakers in Ireland)

v21.jpg

Your dual feed LNB is basically two lnbs with a diseqc switch.
    What you are looking for is cascading another diseqc switch in front of that which from your OP your receiver won't support.

I was in the same situation as you a few years ago and decided to get 3 separate LNBs and a simple 4x DISEqC switch (and all was mountable on a single dish as well)

hugoline wrote: »
    carbsy probably doesn't understand your 13/19 'dual feed' lnb, here is what it looks like (not that common amongst English speakers in Ireland)

v21.jpg

Your dual feed LNB is basically two lnbs with a diseqc switch.
    What you are looking for is cascading another diseqc switch in front of that which from your OP your receiver won't support.

I was in the same situation as you a few years ago and decided to get 3 separate LNBs and a simple 4x DISEqC switch (and all was mountable on a single dish as well)

Ah.. I've never seen one of those before.Only solution I can think of then (without breaking open the dual lnb and modifying it which should be feasible) is to get 2 additional LNBs for 13 & 19 and feed those (along with 28.2) into a 4 way switch.

thanks guys
    thats what i have except that i have 2 exits on it, so i just tried some configurations and the only way it would work is by running a cable from each exit to port a and b of the diseqc switch and set 1 for astra and 1 for hotbid.

i guess 1 exit only would have made it impossible..

thanks again for the help

thanks guys
    thats what i have except that i have 2 exits on it, so i just tried some configurations and the only way it would work is by running a cable from each exit to port a and b of the diseqc switch and set 1 for astra and 1 for hotbid.

i guess 1 exit only would have made it impossible..

thanks again for the help

Well it sounds like you have 2 seperate LNBs (in one moulding) then with seperate outputs.So what I described will work fine.And yes, 1 exit would have meant an integrated 2 way switch within the moulding as pointed out by hugoline.

for some reason this morning, hotbird gave me no signal and astra 19 was still working fine.

i still have to have to investigate whats wrong, but i tried to change a few settings for the tuner with no joy

its turning out to be very complicated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

for some reason this morning, hotbird gave me no signal and astra 19 was still working fine.

i still have to have to investigate whats wrong, but i tried to change a few settings for the tuner with no joy

its turning out to be very complicated

I have never come across a monobloc LNB without an integrated DISEqC swich, so I suspect, you are stacking two switches behind each other.
    Try running a cable from one output of the LNB to the receiver and set it, so that DISEqC 1 is Hotbird and DISEqC 2 is Astra 19.2 (or the other way around, my guess is it should work then)

As mentioned before, get 3 LNBs (they are not that expensive), a multi-LNB bracket for your dish and use the DISEqC switch you already have (and forget about the monobloc LNB)

hi hugoline

i tried to do that.. i have a triax td88 and the multi lnb bracket with 3 lnb but i have found some difficulties to get all the 3 satellites because of the position of where the wall bracket is installed, the dish hits against the wall

the multibracket however is only suitable for the triax , so i ended up replacing the whole dish with a smaller one with a dual feed attached which gives me brilliant signal on both 19 and 13

the reason why it wasnt working its because 2 ports of 4 port diseqc switched got fried ( i forgot to turn off the receiver when i was testing ) , but i tested it on the 2 working one yesterday and its fine

now i bought another 4 ports switch and i wont do the same mistake again

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

To combine a Multiblock Lnb and a single one you'd need your existing 4/1 Diseqc switch and add a Diseqc Option Relais.
    Like this one
    I'm using it myself to join two 4/1s on my wavefrontier.
    In your case like hugoline was suggesting I'd dump the Monoblock for a 19°/13° Multifeed and a separate dish for 28° + 4/1 switch.

Advertisement