Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conveyancing for a house seller

Options
  • 02-08-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a decent solicitor who will do this at a reasonable price? I've been told that 775 plus VAT is a 'decent rate'!

Surely this can't be right?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Practically all legal offices offer a conveyancing service.

Rate quoted to you is on the low side. The process can be time consuming, and time is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anyone recommend a decent solicitor who will do this at a reasonable price? I've been told that 775 plus VAT is a 'decent rate'!

That is extremely reasonable. As already mentioned, there is a lot of work involved (and skill, and years of learning).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mikejjp

Any legal eagles out there? :confused: I'm wondering if this article* on Justlanded is misleading. It looks like the system leaves the buyer exposed to whims of the seller between him signing and then the seller signing at some point after that. I would have thought that the solicitors for both parties would hang onto the signed contracts until they were all agreed, and only then are the contracts exchanged.

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Ireland/Ireland-Guide/Property/Conveyance - Quote:

"The buyer’s solicitor will then draft the purchase deed and raise his queries (requisitions) on title before sending the deposit, draft deed and any objections with regard to title back to the vendor’s solicitor. Note that at this stage the buyer has committed himself to buying (subject to satisfactory title) whereas the vendor isn’t yet committed to selling."

Cheers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikejjp wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this article ... is misleading.
    I think that bit and other bits aren't as good as they could be.

The bit that says "As this can be a complicated process, it’s virtually essential to use a solicitor" seems to forget that only solicitors can do a conveyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

I've been told that 775 plus VAT is a 'decent rate'!

I agree, that is low for a conveyance, especially where title is not straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

775 + VAT looks like a bargain . OP , do you consider this expensive ?

Advertisement