Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARBITRATOR AWARDS NIEMI US$2.75 MILLION IN ARBITRATION

Options
  • 02-08-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329126
    CHICAGO -- Goalie Antti Niemi has been awarded a US$2.75 million salary for next season, an arbitrator's decision that could force the Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks to make another tough decision about their roster.

Niemi earned $826,875 last season as a rookie. He played all but one period of Chicago's post-season run to the title, going 16-6 with a 2.63 goals-against average, .910 save percentage and two shutouts.

To remain under the NHL's $59.4 million salary cap, the Blackhawks may have offered as little as $2 million to Niemi, who has played in just 42 regular-season games in his career. The NHL Players Association confirmed the arbitrator's ruling on Saturday.

There is still a chance that the Hawks will sign and trade Niemi. It looks as though Marty Turco could very well be the next Blackhawks goaltender.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329318

BLACKHAWKS WALKING AWAY FROM NIEMI; SIGNING TURCO
    The Chicago Blackhawks have apparently walked away from the $2.75 million contract that was awarded to Antti Niemi in arbitration, which will make the Stanley Cup-winning goalie an unrestricted free agent.

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the team made the decision on Monday.

Instead, the Blackhawks have reportedly signed veteran netminder Marty Turco to a one-year, $1.3 million contract.

The team will conduct a conference call on Monday afternoon where they will discuss its decision.

"Of course it would be a loss (to lose Niemi), but the nature of sports is that change does happen," said Blackhawks' general manager Stan Bowman last Thursday, prior to the arbitration award. "My job is to try and find a way to make things work if that's a necessity. You kind of have to embrace change and realize it's an opportunity for somebody else."

The soap opera rolls on .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

You gotta feel for Niemi, he done really well for them in the play-offs, but still $2.75m seems a bit high to me. Saying that, price they gonna pay Marco seems high too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    You gotta feel for Niemi, he done really well for them in the play-offs, but still $2.75m seems a bit high to me. Saying that, price they gonna pay Marco seems high too.

Turco for $1.3mil is a STEAL.

You do have to feel for Niemi. He played very well from his first start back in October in Finland. I am going to be very interested in seeing where he ends up and the details of his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

True, my opinion its a possibility he may end up with the Caps. Disappointing post season for Varlamov, so adding Niemi to the roster could add more to the D.

Advertisement