Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plot size.

Options
  • 02-08-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just been the County council web site and they say that for a house between 200m2 to 300m2 i need a plot of .75 acres.

Now my father has no problem in giving me this plot. But when i messured it out on saturday 60m by 51m, Im not happy to take it. Its a small farm!

Is this really what i need for a 220m2 house. I was hoping to maybe put it on a .5 arce plot. Some people say you can have enough space, which is true but then there is too much space, which i will have.

I will be calling them tomorrow to ask them myself but jsut wanted to know if any of yous knew first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Is the site serviced?
    Will you need to install septic tank system/ well, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

No its not.
    I will be having all them in it too, but its still way too big. When i saw it on paper i said that not too bad but when when you see it for real you reliase how BIG .75 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

0.75 acres is 3,036 square metres.
    Your floor plan is 220 sq m
    Screen planting would be 600 sq m
    Percolation area, say 160 sq m
    Entrance and driveway as well as parking, say 235 sq m
    If you will have a garage, say 30 sq m
    Amenity space to the rear, say 240 sq m

It won't be possible to pack all these into a half acre site (2024 sq m) without everything looking cluttered, squashed, and untidy.

It's a question of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

You'll find that the site sizes are probably set out in your county development plan - so it's not likely there'll be any lenience.

Depending on what area you're living in the new EPA guidelines may be in place for on site wastewater treatment, which requires a proportionally larger area for percolation the larger the house size is.

You also need to take into account seperation between your well and septic tank and percolation area.

If you really want to reduce the size of the plot you could look at the floor area assigned to the 1/2 acre site size in the CDP and reduce your floor area to that limit instead. (In my area you'll get up to 200 sq.m. on a 1/2 acre site)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Certainly mayo Co Co insist on 0.75 acres where a sewage system is required.
    Its not overly big although for years we managed to fit the house with sewage etc on 0.5 acres but not allowed now.
    TBH though, its hardly a small farm & your father will hardly notice the difference between giving you half or three quarters surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

You could find too that you will be required to set the house back further from the road, due to its size. Also, if you were considering providing a wind turbine or ground source heat pump these would take up space.

There's nothing to say you have to landscape the entire garden with lawns and shrubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

mickdw wrote: »
    TBH though, its hardly a small farm & your father will hardly notice the difference between giving you half or three quarters surely

My father has no problem in giving me the .75 of a site and "!" means joking in my part of the country!!!!!!!

Supertech wrote: »
    If you really want to reduce the size of the plot you could look at the floor area assigned to the 1/2 acre site size in the CDP and reduce your floor area to that limit instead. (In my area you'll get up to 200 sq.m. on a 1/2 acre site)

Ya im thinking on doing just that reducing the house from a 2 storey to a dormer.
    archtech wrote: »
    You could find too that you will be required to set the house back further from the road, due to its size. Also, if you were considering providing a wind turbine or ground source heat pump these would take up space.

Setting it back from the road is no problem as it will be up a private lane. Im putting a turbine on it 15m(pending planning permission) if that fails ill just put up a 10m one. but im getting a 31m2 bit of land at the top of the field as well for that.

Advertisement