Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to make an iPhone app

Options
  • 02-08-2010 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

More specifically, a radio app with a stream of an online radio station. I don't want to do anything fancy, literally all I want is the logo and a play button on the bottom. I've registered as a developer and I've downloaded Xcode and the iPhone SDK, so now what? I've had a look at the program and it looks very convoluted, even to do something as simple as a radio app. Can anyone point me in the direction of some easy to follow tutorials for something like this? I only have limited knowledge of HTML and nothing else, but I'm willing to learn! I'm not really interested in hiring a 3rd party to do it because of the cost involved and especially because I want it to be as basic as possible.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ah.

I am not so sure learning programming with the iPhone SDK is the best way to get started.

Then again, if you have loads of time on your hands, nothing is impossible. :)

I am going to move this over to the mobile programming forum, you will probably get a better response there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is the radio station available as an online HTTP stream in MP3 format? If so it's easy enough apparently: I was going to start on one for a radio station that I listen to regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Yeager101

Learning Python first is a good idea. Its Objective C. Then you graduate to c++ for iPhone.
    You can take the MIT coarse for free on iTunes U. Not easy, but if it was easy, then everyone would be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Yeager101 wrote: »
    Learning Python first is a good idea. Its Objective C. Then you graduate to c++ for iPhone.
    You can take the MIT coarse for free on iTunes U. Not easy, but if it was easy, then everyone would be doing it.

I think you're a bit confused...

Objective-C is a language that is exactly the same as normal C, with a few extra features for object-oriented programming. It is the standard language for programming for the iPhone and Mac. C++ is a similar, but not fully backwards-compatible evolution of C, which also has object-oriented features.

Python is an entirely different language, very, very different to C, C++ or Objective-C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    I think you're a bit confused...

Objective-C is a language that is exactly the same as normal C, with a few extra features for object-oriented programming. It is the standard language for programming for the iPhone and Mac. C++ is a similar, but not fully backwards-compatible evolution of C, which also has object-oriented features.

Python is an entirely different language, very, very different to C, C++ or Objective-C.

I would say that having a grasp of object-orientated programming in PHP or Perl is a help (they're far from identical, but both come from a C background).

I'm still learning myself, but Objective-C is a lot easier to learn than the bad press it gets might lead someone to think. It's undeserved.

k

• Advertisement
Advertisement