Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHRISTENING FEES/DONATION

Options
  • 02-08-2010 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my little daughter is getting Christened next Sunday in St. Mochtas Church and I was wondering are you expected/is it the norm to give a donation to the Priest on the day?

And how much of a donation is acceptable.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

suey71 wrote: »
    Hi all, my little daughter is getting Christened next Sunday in St. Mochtas Church and I was wondering are you expected/is it the norm to give a donation to the Priest on the day?

And how much of a donation is acceptable.

Thanks.

I'd say nothing less than €50 but probably closer to €100. To be fair to the church the over head of running the building is steep never mind paying the sacristan and the Priest's expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Had our little one christened there last year and gave 100. there were also 5 other christenings happening at the same time so I think they do ok for a mornings work...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Rosser wrote: »
    To be fair to the church the over head of running the building is steep never mind paying the sacristan and the Priest's expenses.

Is your tongue in your cheek there or are you serious??

I wouldn't have thought the RC church were strapped for a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Gaspode wrote: »

I wouldn't have thought the RC church were strapped for a few bob.

but their finance are run on parish/dioceses bases not on a global one and money is put into poorer parishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

The Christening went well. We gave the priest €50 as things are tight atm.

I thought this was a useful thread to start as a lot of people have no idea of how much they should give in these situations, weddings, Christenings etc.

Thanks all for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

To be honest with you it would never have occured to me that you would be expected to give a 'tip' to the priest like this.

Two of my children were christened before we decided to step away from the 'norm' and away from organised religon. I simply never thought of a donation at either christening. At my son's cermony there were a bakers dozen of 13 children altogher - so that would have been a nice little extra if we were all to give 100!!

Is it not the job of a priest to welcome new members into his church and to offer them the sacrement of baptisim in order to save their souls?

I have to say I am shocked at this idea.

It was only after the second kid that we heard about this practice ourselves, but what I was told was that the "tip" was for the alter boys/girls.

Seems like the priest cuts out the competition:D.

Yeah and totally agree with you about the priest doing it for free so as to welcom new kids to the flock.

Reminds me of that tale in the Bible when a young Jesus upended the stalls of the traders in the temple because he didn't agree that such a sacred place should be used as a commercial venture.

I just gave the "Donation" because I didn't want any awkward moments in church.

I personally didn't agree with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I thought this was a useful thread to start as a lot of people have no idea of how much they should give in these situations, weddings, Christenings etc.

We were told at our pre-marriage course that we should give the priest at least the equivalent of the hire cost for two suits. So about €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had my daughter christened in St. Luke The Evangelist in Mulhuddart in April 2009, priest did not look for donation, one of the nuns even said so when she was dropping around the forms to fill in.

I had my second daughter christened there in June this year, different priest and the nun handed me the donation envelope when she dropped round with the forms, very cheeky I think!!

Without the priest would there be a Christening? I'm not a holy Joe but when you look at the amount of money being spent on outfits and celebrations...it does seem wrong that what is supposed to be the most important part is being looked at as a burden of an extra expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

To be honest with you it would never have occured to me that you would be expected to give a 'tip' to the priest like this.

Two of my children were christened before we decided to step away from the 'norm' and away from organised religon. I simply never thought of a donation at either christening. At my son's cermony there were a bakers dozen of 13 children altogher - so that would have been a nice little extra if we were all to give 100!!

Is it not the job of a priest to welcome new members into his church and to offer them the sacrement of baptisim in order to save their souls?

I have to say I am shocked at this idea.

welcoming new members who get baptised and are not seen again until they get married because a church weding is more glamorous than a registarý office job.
    as other posters have pointed out the individual priest has to fund the upkeep of the church. the christening could be on a saturday afternoon when he has to come in especially for it.

athtrasna wrote: »
    We were told at our pre-marriage course that we should give the priest at least the equivalent of the hire cost for two suits. So about €200.

why not. you pay the musicans and everyone else involved.

I had my daughter christened in St. Luke The Evangelist in Mulhuddart in April 2009, priest did not look for donation, one of the nuns even said so when she was dropping around the forms to fill in.

I had my second daughter christened there in June this year, different priest and the nun handed me the donation envelope when she dropped round with the forms, very cheeky I think!!

most priests I know do not have their hand out.its bad manners, but equally bad form not to make a contribution.

in some cases priest have to travel miles at their own expense and are luckz if thez get a handshake at the end of it. thez do relz on these things for the upkeep of the parish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Fuinseog wrote: »
    most priests I know do not have their hand out.its bad manners, but equally bad form not to make a contribution.

in some cases priest have to travel miles at their own expense and are luckz if thez get a handshake at the end of it. thez do relz on these things for the upkeep of the parish

I cant see how they are doing these things at their own expense - isn't it their job to provide sacraments to their flock? Dont priests get paid by the church?

OP here.

I'll just say that my priest never looked for a donation.

When my last child was being Baptised he actually said that it wasn't neccessary to give anything.

I personally don't agree with having to give a donation to the priest, as I believe he should be greatful that he still has people that are willing to want to have their children Baptised in a very flawed faith.

I am a Roman Catholic by Baptism, but I consider myself a Christian,
    as I believe that Jesus was an amazing man. and if it turned out that he wasn't the son of God I wouldn't care, its the values that he thought us that I believe in and not what some Roman Emporer on a Power trip in the 4th Century wanted us to believe in.

It was actually my mother who told me about this practice and at the time I thought it was obsurd that a priest would expect money from the parents of a child.

As I said in a previous post, it was given to stop any embarrassing moments in church, and maybe the priest thought he would offend me if he didn't take it. and tbh I don't think he needs the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As I said in a previous post, it was given to stop any embarrassing moments in church, and maybe the priest thought he would offend me if he didn't take it. and tbh I don't think he needs the money.
    I am quite curious about what embarrassing moment could occur if a donation was not given.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I cant see how they are doing these things at their own expense - isn't it their job to provide sacraments to their flock? Dont priests get paid by the church?

It's a vocation not a job and they get 'paid' and allowance, it's not unreasonable to recognise the expenses they might incur doing this vocation. Since f all people go to mass regularly anymore I don't see why those who do have to subsidise those looking to use the services for 'a nice day out'.

The op was gracious in their contribution particularly if money is a bit tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Is this a joke thread?!?! Are ya kiddin me?? Give a priest a donation for a duty he carries out in his "line-of-business??!!" Ermmm one question - why?!?!

Giving "something small" as a gesture to Altar Servers at Weddings / Funerals is an age-old Irish tradition, but honestly paying the Priest?? I wouldn't but that's just my opinion .... Well, you would give something to a Church Singer at a wedding .... But then what about the Organist lol?! I guess it's food for thought .... Everything's all money now!

http://www.together.ie/Ceremony.html

You are totally expected to pay the priest. You mention yourself that you pay the musicians...then there's the florist, the car company, the photographer, the hotel, the band, the dj....

The priest performs the marriage...that's arguably the most important part of the day, it amazes me how some people think this part should be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because the priest is paid to minister to the parish, it's a salaried position and the role and responsibility of that position includes preforming the rites and rituals of baptism, marriage and death to and for the members of the parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

Think it's time all you guys looked again at the movie Resevoir Dogs. At the start, there's a debate over why we tip some service providers and not others. Just tip the priest and shut the f**k up.
    By the way, I'm a non practicing Catholic and opted out many years ago. However, I occasionally stick up for the Church. Especially regarding stuff like the "A La Carte" Catholics who've posted on this thread.
    Either be a proper Catholic following all the rules (not just the bits you like) or else f**k off like I did. I can see how a priest would get p****d off with people just using the Church as a convenience. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

athtrasna wrote: »

You are totally expected to pay the priest. You mention yourself that you pay the musicians...then there's the florist, the car company, the photographer, the hotel, the band, the dj....

The priest performs the marriage...that's arguably the most important part of the day, it amazes me how some people think this part should be free.

It amazes me why you think people should pay the priest!? You're likening a priest to a florist and a hotel...Says it all!

PKen wrote: »
    Think it's time all you guys looked again at the movie Resevoir Dogs. At the start, there's a debate over why we tip some service providers and not others. Just tip the priest and shut the f**k up.
    By the way, I'm a non practicing Catholic and opted out many years ago. However, I occasionally stick up for the Church. Especially regarding stuff like the "A La Carte" Catholics who've posted on this thread.
    Either be a proper Catholic following all the rules (not just the bits you like) or else f**k off like I did. I can see how a priest would get p****d off with people just using the Church as a convenience. :rolleyes:

You can make your point without using bad language. With your logic, a person with absolutely no money isn't able to practice their faith because you have to tip the priest.

PKen wrote: »

Would you tip your waitress a day of your pay?

Stipend for the Celebrant:
    There is no set fee for the Priest's sacramental services; but it is customary to make him a generous donation as a free-will gesture. In fairness he should be offered something equivalent to about a day's salary (taking either the bride's or bridegroom's normal income as a measuring standard).

Regular and active members of the parish who contribute to the collects at Mass and the Christmas dues and the Easter dues pay towards the salary of the priests who attend the parish and they should be expected to pay tip the priest with the equalvant of one of their days pay?

I can see the argument that if the couple are not of the parish and want the church to charge a fee, make it transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

You can make your point without using bad language. With your logic, a person with absolutely no money isn't able to practice their faith because you have to tip the priest.

Apologies for the "bad language", but I did use the *****s. I normally don't use bad language, but I thought it would help emphasise my point. Sorry if it offended you or anybody else.
    I left the Church 26 years ago. Never thought I'd be sticking up for them so much. It does seem a little cheeky to fork out all that money for a Wedding Reception and be so mean to the Priest. Isn't it a bit "Penny Wise And Pound Foolish"?
    By the way, a poor person won't get a free Wedding Reception, Car, Flowers etc. However, if the Priest knows you're broke, he'll not expect any payment. In all fairness, they're not like Bank managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Why should the priest get a tip when he is getting a wage from the church. Doing a christening is part of his job?

I would give the alter boy/girl money though.

gazzer wrote: »
    Why should the priest get a tip when he is getting a wage from the church. Doing a christening is part of his job?

I would give the alter boy/girl money though.

So you don't tip in a restaurant? The donation goes to the running of the parish which pays the Priest his allowance, do you think they print their own money?

I suspect much of the opinions are formed by other issues with the church and have little to do with the right and wrong of payment.

Rosser wrote: »
    So you don't tip in a restaurant? The donation goes to the running of the parish which pays the Priest his allowance, do you think they print their own money?

I suspect much of the opinions are formed by other issues with the church and have little to do with the right and wrong of payment.

You are sheltered! Priests pocket that. If a priest baptises 8 babies at one session and all 8 give 50-100euro, that certainly adds up. That is outrageous. The upkeep of the church and wages to the priest is paid by these Sunday plate rubbish that idiots give to.

If the priest believes in Christianity and all that nonsense, they are meant to spread the word of god free of charge!

There are some priests that won't baptise children because their parents don't attend mass!

How can people defend priests??

I don't see why babies are christened seperatly, what happened to it happening as part of the regular serivice where all the community/parish would welcome the new addition and plledge suppoprt for the child and thier parents to help them to help the child grow in faith?

If there is a fee for officating at a Baptism and the use of the church then let it be a transparant and up front fee instead of a tip/donation.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't see why babies are christened seperatly, what happened to it happening as part of the regular serivice where all the community/parish would welcome the new addition and plledge suppoprt for the child and thier parents to help them to help the child grow in faith?

If there is a fee for officating at a Baptism and the use of the church then let it be a transparant and up front fee instead of a tip/donation.

I agree with this. Least priests are being honest with people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement