Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo update bricked my phone?

Options
  • 02-08-2010 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    (posted on behalf of my friend, the phone owner, who's also 'Sordini' on Boards)

During installation of the Froyo release I seem to have possibly bricked the Desire. Currently the phone;
    • won't connect to a mobile signal
    • won't connect via USB to the computer
    • keeps restarting by itself
    • is very slow and unresponsive
    • did seem to connect via Wifi (it loaded up new pages via the web browser)

To leave us where we are, the following happened;

I checked for the official Froyo release via Menu > Settings > About Phone > System Software Updates. The update was there, so I downloaded the update. It downloaded fine and prompted for installation. I clicked "install now" and it followed through as normal (I installed Froyo on my own phone earlier).

During installation, at around 30%, it prompted a Force Close/Wait option. I hit Wait, and it continued Installation. At maybe 80%, the phone restarted by itself, and upon restarting went back in to installation. Again at around 30% it asked for Force Close/Wait option, I hit Wait, and again at around 80% the phone restarted itself. The same thing kept happening, probably around 5 or 6 times.

Eventually I removed the battery and put it back in as the phone seemed to be stuck in this cycle. This time the phone went to the Home Screen, but leaving the phone in condition listed above (no usb connectivity etc).

I tried running the boot menu and going in to Recovery, but that only showed an image of a Desire with a red exclamation mark in a red triangle.

We tried a Factory Reset, but it just left the phone in the same condition as listed above.

Would anyone please have any advice on what we should do? Really hope the phone isn't bricked :( Any help would be brilliant.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I don't think it's bricked. You may be able to download the official Rom rename the file to update.zip, copy to sdcardand apply the Rom again using the recovery mode. Best wait till someone with a bit of experience doing this replies though. no point in making things worse

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If it was the official update, and your phone is otherwise unaltered, you should bring it back to wherever you bought it and look for a replacement.

Were you installing the update OTA or via WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Where did you get the phone, and what ROM did you have installed on it.

For me (o2 stock -> 1.21 + debranding), this has some good information on the problem that I had that would have been useful for me but I figured it out anyway - you need to upgrade to 2.2 _with_ the goldcard depending on which 1.21 you had installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I doubt it's bricked, I've made loads of errors with mine and got it stuck in boot loops etc. but wiping and starting over always fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the replies.

The phone was not rooted previous to doing the upgrade. It had no custom roms on it either.

My friend rang the htc support and they said he would have to send it to them in the uk, so at least that's an option.

But if downloading the update and putting it on the sd would solve this we could give that ago. Which update should we get though?

Also, we were downloading the upgrade over wifi, and my friend bought the phone 2nd hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I know what to do. You're not bricked thankfully. Sending you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sordini

The biggest thanks ever to partyatmygaff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It always make me laugh how often the term "bricked" is thrown-around! :D

Not specifically meant to you OP.. but just in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

basquille wrote: »
    It always make me laugh how often the term "bricked" is thrown-around! :D

Not specifically meant to you OP.. but just in general.
    Shut your mouth, or your gaff will get bricked!:pac:

in fairness, the OP probably shouldn't have used the term 'bricked'. And in retrospect, neither should I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

It was only because of ~5 hours of PAMG intervention that the phone wasn't bricked, so I think that's about as right as you can be while being wrong :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

He also helped me out too the other day. Much thanks to PAMG for helping me out also.

But I do get what Basq meant from his post, but I can also understand why you used the term 'bricked'. It might well have been a brick to you. Sure the brick would have been of more use to you than your phone in the state it was in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cianos wrote: »
    It was only because of ~5 hours of PAMG intervention that the phone wasn't bricked, so I think that's about as right as you can be while being wrong :cool:

Bricked isn't slang for wrecked. It means the device cannot be operated or communicated with in any way. Obviously, given that it has been recovered, it wasn't bricked. :)

Advertisement