Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 31: Meatloaf with Spicy Tomato Sauce

Options
  • 01-08-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Firstly, apologies for the lack of prep photos, I forgot to take them :o. This dish has become a firm favourite in my house.

MEATLOAF

meatsmall2.jpg

Serves 4

250g minced beef
    10-12 streaky rashers, stretched with the back of a knife if they’re short
    4 streaky rashers, finely chopped
    1 fat garlic clove, crushed
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    Couple of handfuls of breadcrumbs
    1 egg, beaten
    Couple tbsps tomato sauce
    Tsp dried oregano
    Splash of Worcestershire sauce
    Salt and pepper
    • First, fry off the chopped rashers and allow to cool on kitchen paper. In the same pan gently fry the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent but not brown, allow this to cool also.
    • Put your mince into a bowl add a handful of the breadcrumbs, the egg, tomato sauce, oregano, Worcestershire and seasoning. To this add the cooled onion and bacon and combine well – I find it easiest to use my hands for this. If it is still too wet add more breadcrumbs. To test your seasoning is ok you can fry off a small pattie to taste now.
    • In the meantime, line a greased 2lb loaf tin or dish with the remaining streaky rashers leaving some overhang on the edges of the dish. Spoon in the mince mixture, spread it out and press it down firmly and cover over with the overhanging rashers. Put the dish into a bain marie (basically a larger roasting dish with the water between a quarter and half the ways up the tin) and cover loosely with foil. Place into a preheated oven at 180C/fan 160C for approximately an hour and half.
    • You want the mince to be fully cooked but juicy so every now and then empty out the fat that will accumulate in the dish. For the last half hour take the foil off and take the loaf out of the dish and place onto the foil on a separate tray so that the rashers colour and crisp up on the 3 sides. Let it sit for 10 or 15mins while before you slice it, it’s nicer and slices easier when cooler.
      meat3a.jpg
    • I either serve this with cubed, crispy potatoes or pasta with a spicy tomato sauce. It is also nice the next day thinly sliced with a smear of the tomato sauce in a sandwich.

meat5A.jpg

meat4a.jpg

Spicy Tomato Sauce

This sauce is simple. Just gently fry off some chopped onion, chopped red chilli, (as much or as little as you like only you know how much heat you can take!:p) and chopped garlic. Add a tin of tomatoes, couple tbsp tomato purée, good pinch of dried oregano, tbsp each of Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, couple tsps of sugar and plenty of seasoning. Let the sauce bubble away until nice and lusciously thick. Blend to a smooth and thick sauce and eat!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I never knew what was in meatloaf, will deffo give it a go

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never had meatloaf before! I'm cooking for one at the moment though - is this freezable, or is there a way to make a smaller version? Obviously I can reduce the recipe, but it's the fact that you need to put it in a tin that's catching me. I'm trying to think of alternative tins that I have...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, excellent. Look forward to trying this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Faith wrote: »
    I've never had meatloaf before! I'm cooking for one at the moment though - is this freezable, or is there a way to make a smaller version? Obviously I can reduce the recipe, but it's the fact that you need to put it in a tin that's catching me. I'm trying to think of alternative tins that I have...

I haven't frozen mine at any stage but its perfectly suited to freezing.

To make it smaller you could just make individual meatloafs just wrap a handful of the meat mix in a couple of rashers looking like large meatballs and they'd probably only take 40mins to cook. You could also line individual ramekins. When you downsize just remember to reduce the cooking time as well.

I've also used my silicon loaf dish to cook it.

Thanks, I was thinking of using something like a ramekin alright. I'll hopefully make this in the next week or so!

• Advertisement

Wow! I'm feeling very sorry for myself here, obv boards is not a place for meatloaf. I'm gonna get me coat ..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Must try this - have never made it and it was never something made at home either! Yippee! Good choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I've never tasted Meatloaf but have always been curious about it.
    Yours looks fab, Im gonna give it a shot at the weekend..

Wow! I'm feeling very sorry for myself here, obv boards is not a place for meatloaf. I'm gonna get me coat ..... :o

Don't! The cooking club has slowed down hugely recently. Boards in general takes a massive dip in July and August :).

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

I am not much of a cooker but I am definately trying this out! thanks boodlesdoodles, looks fab :)

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Don't! The cooking club has slowed down hugely recently. Boards in general takes a massive dip in July and August :).

Thanks Faith. I'm afraid I was under the influence when I posted last night!! Nothing like drink to make you feel sorry for yourself. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Exactly what Faith pointed out. It's holiday season and people aren't around as much. I'm still a couple of weeks behind myself.

Exactly what Faith pointed out. It's holiday season and people aren't around as much. I'm still a couple of weeks behind myself.

Jaysus, between a break up, exams and a crazy work schedule, I think I'm several months behind! I've just been making what sounds tasty, rather than trying out every recipe for the experience :).

I'll get back on track in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Keep the chin up there, boodlesdoodles!

As Faith and Mr. Magnolia said there's a lot of people on their holliers at the moment and in any case, you need to wait a week or two before people start getting back to you.

So, here is the meatloaf after coming out of the oven:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6963

I made a small change in that I turned the meatloaf upside-down onto the tinfoil and grilled in for a few minutes to brown it up a bit.

I'm going to leave it to cool down and chill it overnight before slicing it, so as to get nice, neat slices.

I made the sauce, too and it tastes great. By the way, tell us more about these crispy potatoes that get only a rudimentary mention from you because they look pretty good! How do you go about making them?

I'll update this post again tomorrow with the finished meal.

And here it is, ready to be laid into:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6991

Thanks, boodles. Very nice recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm going to have to get Mrs Billy to sign up to boards. Would love to arrive home to meatloaf this evening. :)

Little Alex fab photo!! The crispy potatoes are simple. I just cube up good roasting type potatoes at the moment British Queens. Then peel them and cut into half inch cubes. I rinse them very well in cold water to remove all the starch. In the meantime, I have a tray with a couple of tbsps olive oil heating in a pre-heated oven of 170C fan. Dry the spuds thoroughly with kitchen paper or a clean tea towel, then carefully lay into the hot oil (lay away from you to avoid the spatters). Season generously with sea salt and black pepper and roast for 25-35mins, turning them every 10mins or so to ensure even crispness. The great thing about cutting them up this way is when you're dieting you feel like you're having loads of potatoes when you actually aren't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gave this a go yesterday and it was very good. The sauce was nice as well. Thanks boodlesdoodles.

meatloafboards.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Finally got round to making this tonight.
    I loved it, thanks Boodles..
    Loved the sauce but I overdid the chilli's a tad.. HAWT!
    003.jpg
    Straight out of t'oven (his and hers;))
    008.jpg
    I put red pepper in mine too..
    010.jpg
    Really enjoyed and going to have for lunch tommorow.

This is in the oven right now!

That was delicious! I made it for my parents too and they whipped away the plates and started eating before I had a chance to take a picture. I've a lovely chunk left over for lunch tomorrow :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

trying this tomorrow, really looking forward to it! always wanted to try meatloaf! ill take photos if i remember! :) thanks for recipe OP!

Advertisement