Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in the drogheda area ?

Options
  • 01-08-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good place to go lake fishing in the Drogheda area ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Rathescar lake on the Dunleer Rd west of the M1. Some bream and roach. Easy to catch with the right tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Iv fished Rathescar countless times and have never caught a bream, but its alive with roach!
    I did catch a crusian carp 3 years ago and asked the caretaker of the park was there many and he said a english person put his pond carp in the lake a few years ago, but they are rare to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

Theres millions of roach there but there is deffo no bream

Lads, I saw an English chap with one only last week. I wouldn't have believed it until he showed me. He lifted his keep net out of the water and there it was - bright silver! I kid you not.

were abouts on the lake did he catch it? i wana try catch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Ah Rathescar lake, i was in at it many times over the years, it used to be a nice lake many years ago (20+ years) before it was opened up, it was nice and quiet now its a lot different, a sign of the times.....salmon used to spawn in the stream exiting it a long long time ago, sadly that happens no more...another sign of the times.

louthguy25 wrote: »
    were abouts on the lake did he catch it? i wana try catch it

Arrive at the lake where the little slipway is into the water, turn left and walk down to around the second picnic bench.

You could try the boyne canal either, its not bad in the summer months.

what about the pond at Stephenstown

what about the pond at Stephenstown

Stephenstown pond, home of the un-catchable carp!!!! Did anyone ever catch a carp here? I spent a few days trying to catch one koi carp at this pond and it drove me and a mate mad:mad:!
    Its a great pond for rudd, some nice fish to be caught.

• Advertisement

skipz wrote: »
    Stephenstown pond, home of the un-catchable carp!!!! Did anyone ever catch a carp here? I spent a few days trying to catch one koi carp at this pond and it drove me and a mate mad:mad:!
    Its a great pond for rudd, some nice fish to be caught.

thanks skipz, i once herd that the carp in stephenstown originally came from gaulmoylestown, but i have never fished stephenstown, walked around it a few times, its very weedy. from what i understand the carp are very hard to catch from that pond, there may not be a big head of them in there?
    can you fish it with all the pond weeeeeeeeeed is any part of it clear???

To be honest i think there is only one maybe two carp in the pond and the one we see is a koi carp, the hardest type of carp to catch!
    The main part of the pond where the fishing stands are is no good, never caught anything here. We fish a little area along the back on the field side beside a big tree and some reeds, its a little bank area which is clear for about 8mtrs out. Iv only ever got rudd in the pond, but its good with loads about.
    As for the carp he's a f*cker, he knows you are there trying catch him and takes everything bar your hooked bait!!

p.s Its 7euro (i think) to fish the pond.

You could try the boyne canal either, its not bad in the summer months.

I've seen that canal near Oldbridge house. What fish are in it?

shamwari wrote: »
    I've seen that canal near Oldbridge house. What fish are in it?

Fished it today, got a good few perch and roach. Some nice roach in it, the gf got a 2lb in it last year was well sick!

Fished it today, got a good few perch and roach. Some nice roach in it, the gf got a 2lb in it last year was well sick!
    Well done! What bait did you use?

Went rathescar this evening in search of the mystical bream and crucian carp but alas just a keep net of roach all with black spots i think its a worm infection.... lovely spot pity about the catch and eat lad who knocked every roach on the head

Where abouts did you fish on the lake? Last day I was up there, it was ruined by ducks and swans milling about and expecting bread to be thrown at them!

Just fished at the second bench more or less the ducks left me alone but i did havea couple of arguements with the swans

Went rathescar this evening in search of the mystical bream and crucian carp but alas just a keep net of roach all with black spots i think its a worm infection.... lovely spot pity about the catch and eat lad who knocked every roach on the head

eating roach is sad enough without eating ones that are infested with worms :eek:, what is wrong with these people? are these savages that hungry???

Well done! What bait did you use?

White and red maggots on a size 18 or 20. I was using very fine 2lb as a leader. Alot of people where amazed that we were catching anythig, but if you fish it right its a great place!

• Advertisement

The roach in there are wretched looking! I was told that when a pond or lake get infested with roach they get that black dot disease very handy and they dont grow very big.
    Have to say, it must be the easiest place to catch a roach, any type of bait or tactic works there.

I've caught them on nothing simpler than sweetcorn and a rather largish size12 hook. I've got myself a bread punch and am going to try that on size 18's.

Due to the problem with the ducks and swans milling about, it's impossible to groundbait without attracting them over and ruining the swim. :(

Due to the problem with the ducks and swans milling about, it's impossible to groundbait without attracting them over and ruining the swim. :(

nothing that a good shotgun wont sort out................:D

Iam just after remenber this:D. Christmas day 2 years ago one of the caretakers of the park went down to the lake in the morning and found 4 lads in waders trying to net a few swams and ducks for the christmas dinner. You needent ask where they came from!

Iam just after remenber this:D. Christmas day 2 years ago one of the caretakers of the park went down to the lake in the morning and found 4 lads in waders trying to net a few swams and ducks for the christmas dinner. You needent ask where they came from!

:eek:...FFS!

yea the love to eat ducks, waterhens, kingfishers, swans, pheasants, crows, magpies, blackbirds, robins, sparrows, bats, basically anything that flies...and swims too....be careful if you are in the sea swimming with the kids you and the kids might end up stuck in a net or on the end of a long line.....then you all will be in the pie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What about rose hall resivor or the boyne at the old runed manor house above old bridge, used to catch good bream in both 15 years ago.

Advertisement