Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My crying Kitty

Options
  • 01-08-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need advice on my new 1yr old cat, Tali. I rescued her from the DSPCA on wednesday and I was delighted with her. Took her home the first day and she adapted really well. She's not nervous at all and is super affectionate. The only problem I have with her is excessive crying at night. She paws at my bedroom door for hours and just cries and cries. I do not know what to do with her and I certainly don't want to give up on her just yet.

I really need advice on this guys,
    Thanks
    Em x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

To get into your room or to get out?

Mine usually wants out at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is she crying to get out of your room? If so is it possible to keep the door open to give her access to the rest of the house, some cats to like to wander around the house at night. Obviously since you've just gotten her not a good idea to let her out esp. at night too many dangers.

If she needs to stay in your room at night then perhaps getting her a cat tree will help she might just be feeling a big clausterphobic and having a high cat tree (zooplus.co.uk have resonably priced ones) might make her feel more secure.

If she's pawing the door to get in to your room then if possible let her in and see if she just wants to cuddle up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Sorry lads, should of noticed that! She cries to get into my room at night. My friend is allergic to cats and he stays with me sometimes so I didn't want her getting into the habit of sleeping in my room? I am hoping it is her just getting used to her new home. I am just so so worried she's not happy being with me. Want to make her a happy cat after what she's been thro!

I let mine in I am afraid. Hairs are the only issue.

If I don't then she cries also but I hadn't the heart to wean her.

I am sure she'll get used to it eventually. Does she have acess to get outside at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

No I can't let her out sadly, it's a 4th floor apartment we live in. I have started letting her in and she seems much happier. Kinda seems like she just wants to wander about the place at night tbh.
    I just have another question, and I didn't wanna post a new thread. How do you know if your cat is happy? This may seem like a stupid question, but I've never been the sole responsibility for an animal before and I just want to make sure she's happy.
    Thanks lads!

• Advertisement

If it purs I guess?

I don't know about cats that never get to go outside.

If its still a kitten then you are probably doing the right thing but just know that a whine or whiney meow means **** all really.

In my house it can be look at me, rub me, feed me or let me out - i.e. not the sign of anything more sinister and our cat is spoiled rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Aw - thats such a sweet question!

IMHO cats are happy when:
    1. They purr
    2. They play and race about in an uninhibited way
    3. They stretch out & sleep in weird contortions anywhere they feel like it
    4. They are eating something yummy
    5. They get into hunter mode & stake out birds through the window (or chase flies around the room etc)
    6. You begin to understand their body language so that you can do their bidding.

Oh - and if you are getting slow blinks from your kitty, that is their way of telling you they love you!

I read a couple of books by Vicky Halls (Cat Detective & I forget the name of the other one). She has great advice on how to keep a cat happy - although most of the cats she writes about in her books are a bit disturbed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hollypops

Please do no return your little cat. I got a rescue cat a few months ago and she cried at night. Now she has a very comfy basket in my room and sleeps happily all night long

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

We rescued two kittens (now cats :-) )from the DSPCA a year ago. One of them can cry the place down at night but if the doors are left open and he can wander around he is as quiet as a mouse. I think they just like the freedom to roam and to come in and sleep near you if they want! I generally wake up with the two of them at the bottom of the bed asleep. As for your friend being allergic, unfortunately there will be cat hair everywhere regardless of whether they sleep in the same room as you so theres not alot you can do about that. My sister minded our two at her house, kept them in one room away from her partner who was very allergic and despite the fact that he wasnt in contact with them and they had no access to the rest of the house, he had a bad reaction to them just being around!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw OP..fair play for rescuin the kitty in the first place. Shes only "crying" for attention tbh. You need to decide if shes in or out of your bedroom and stick to it.

Cats generally are heat seeking cuddlers, who crave body warmth and a comfortable place to sleep. You need to set the ground rules from now. If shes allowed into your room...then thats it. Consistency is the key for any animal training. If she learns thems the rules...well then thems the rules. Dont chop and change or she'll just get confused.

+1 to everything MsFifers said. A quiet unresponsive animal=an unhappy animal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement