Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured pigeon (again!)

Options
  • 31-07-2010 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

One of the pigeons that I feed I noticed earlier seemed to be disorientated. I kept an eye on him, and he seemed to be continually throwing his head backwards, and twisting it back. He seemed to be walking a little crooked too. He seemed a little afraid of flying, almost like he didn't know how.

So later on I saw him flying, and he flew into a window, then down onto the ground. He didn't get a terrible whack but must've been sore. I know it was windy today but at the time it wasn't so I don't think it's the wind that caused him to crash into it. I think he just can't really fly right.

I didn't see him for a good while after, but figured he mustn't be gone too far. Then I noticed the children downstairs talking about a bird and saying let's throw stuff at him! So I then saw he was on a windowsill of a downstairs apartment. I went down to tell them to leave him alone. I went really near to him and he didn't fly off.

So I decided to take him in as he'd starve left out there, I just really feel like he couldn't do well trying to find food by himself, and the children couldn't be trusted.

So I brought him up. And he's in a box in the bathroom. the box has a top over it with lots of airholes. I've a towel under him, and a small shallow bowl of water and little bit of seed in with him. He's moved a bit since then.

It's warmish in the bathroom, but not too warm. We're keeping the noise down, and we've turned off the light in there for the night now so he can rest.

I think there's a chance it might be PMV, but not sure. There's no vet open til Tuesday and even then I don't know that they can do anything.

I suppose I just want to know what can I do to help him? I want to stop him being stressed out but I don't know what else to do. And if it is PMV does that mean I'll have to watch him for the next 6 weeks while he gets better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

If anyone's interested, I brought the pigee to the vet this morning. He didn't mention PMV but has given me a liquid medicine to give him twice a day. he said that if his neck twisting doesn't stop after 4/5 days then he's not going to get better and we'll put him down.

So hopefully my little pigee will get better. not lookin forward to forcing the dropper into his beak though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

If anyone's interested, I brought the pigee to the vet this morning. He didn't mention PMV but has given me a liquid medicine to give him twice a day. he said that if his neck twisting doesn't stop after 4/5 days then he's not going to get better and we'll put him down.

So hopefully my little pigee will get better. not lookin forward to forcing the dropper into his beak though....
    Did your vet tell you what was causing the neck twitch thing?
    Is the liquid he gave you an antibiotic?

I'm interested because early this year there was a pigeon with much the same symptoms in my garden for a week or two. He was ok otherwise, there was no chance that I could catch him but I'd like to know what the condition is that he was showing symptoms of.

Hope your little guy responds well to the treatment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

No he didn't say what it was, but from what I've read on PMV that takes weeks to get rid of, and he said to only give him 4/5 days, so I'm assuming he doesn't think it's that.

The thing he gave me is Baytril, an antibiotic I think. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Advertisement