Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ikea store set for mallow

Options
  • 31-07-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have just heard that the new Ikea store might be located in mallow. This would be fantastic for the town. BRING IT ON!!

my allen key is ready for all that DIY :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think its cork limerick or mallow been the location. I think you can oil the allen key because if mallow is picked a sod wont be turned until the M20 is complete.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The latest site to be earmarked is the old Amgen site near Midleton. There's infrastructure there to cope with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

they'll have to do up the road and finish that junction to use the Amgen site.
    Wasn't it a condition for Dublin that the M50 upgrade be completed?

I reckon it'd be handy out - should bring money into the area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Would Cork area not be better than Mallow. Surely there would be demand from Waterford aswell. But then again once the M9 is complete Cork and Dublin will probably be the same journey time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peteandjenn

The old Beet factory in Mallow will probably be the location easy acces to and from the new motorway proposed and ideal for anyone traveling for Cork, Limerick and Kerry. As Mallow is the crossroads to Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hopefully it will happen due to the jobs situation in the time. Mallow is centrally situationed between Cork & Limerick and also very good rail links.
    Saying that, the local furniture shops would nervous of that development.

Manach wrote: »
    Hopefully it will happen due to the jobs situation in the time. Mallow is centrally situationed between Cork & Limerick and also very good rail links.
    Saying that, the local furniture shops would nervous of that development.

Ikea is quite a Niche so im sure they will survive. Ikea doesnt get new stock very often so people literally do end up with the same stuff. I dont think it will put any locals out of business,
    And if it does so what tbh, its bringing 400 jobs to the town.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Ikea is quite a Niche so im sure they will survive. Ikea doesnt get new stock very often so people literally do end up with the same stuff. I dont think it will put any locals out of business,
    And if it does so what tbh, its bringing 400 jobs to the town.

It might bring down the prices of the furniture shops in Mallow as alot of there stuff is overpriced. That would keep them in business.

As for the jobs 400 would be great for the town and also the B&B's, cafe's and restaurants will do well out of it. So it would be nothing but good news for the town.
    IKEA FOR MALLOW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

deRanged wrote: »
    they'll have to do up the road and finish that junction to use the Amgen site.

Not a lot of work to do, Amgen did the bulk of it, The remainder would be a drop in the ocean for IKEA. That said, if I was the council, I'd be insisting on a flyover this time around. (They wouldn't of course, because they're shortsighted idiots that think a multinational is the be-all and end-all of industry, much like our dear government.) I'd say the growing list of earmarked locations is a load of wishful guff though.

Good for the area I suppose, but I'm not sure I see the need; IKEA's hardly a "pop in" store and sure Dublin's only just over 2 hours up the road these days. Handy for the boggers down wesht I guess. ;)

EDIT: Come to think of of it, where did this story come from in the first place? Is it from the horse's mouth, or from some asshat of a county councillor that thinks he can outplay one of the biggest (and dodgiest*) retailers I'm the world?

* Which I'll admit didn't stop me from just furnishing my house there. I may be principled, but I'm not /stupid/.

dahamsta wrote: »
    Not a lot of work to do, Amgen did the bulk of it, The remainder would be a drop in the ocean for IKEA. That said, if I was the council, I'd be insisting on a flyover this time around. (They wouldn't of course, because they're shortsighted idiots that think a multinational is the be-all and end-all of industry, much like our dear government.) I'd say the growing list of earmarked locations is a load of wishful guff though.

Good for the area I suppose, but I'm not sure I see the need; IKEA's hardly a "pop in" store and sure Dublin's only just over 2 hours up the road these days. Handy for the boggers down wesht I guess. ;)

EDIT: Come to think of of it, where did this story come from in the first place? Is it from the horse's mouth, or from some asshat of a county councillor that thinks he can outplay one of the biggest (and dodgiest*) retailers I'm the world?

* Which I'll admit didn't stop me from just furnishing my house there. I may be principled, but I'm not /stupid/.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/business/ikea-hold-preliminary-talks-with-mallow-council-467441.html

There you go there's the proof

• Advertisement

It was in a few of the local newspapers aswell.

And there definitely is demand. I dont speak for the majority but quite a few people i know want to shop in Ikea in Dublin but its too far, If you want to return something or if something goes wrong its ages away.
    There is a population of over 1 million in the Munster region so demand will defo exist. Ikea wouldnt be looking if they believed it would be a ghost town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Lads I hate to burst yer bubble but the infrastructure going to Mallow is useless. The mitchelstown/Fermoy/Killarney/Cork/Limerick road are not able to handle traffic. If you remember Dublin corporation would not allow Ikea to open until the M50 was upgraded to 3 lanes. So tell me how many lanes has the N72/N73........

SARASON wrote: »
    Lads I hate to burst yer bubble but the infrastructure going to Mallow is useless. The mitchelstown/Fermoy/Killarney/Cork/Limerick road are not able to handle traffic. If you remember Dublin corporation would not allow Ikea to open until the M50 was upgraded to 3 lanes. So tell me how many lanes has the N72/N73........

Well that is because the M50 would take 90% of the traffic coming to Ikea.
    Where as the traffic coming to mallow would be stretched over a couple of roads. No doubt though that this wouldnt get the go ahead until the Southern Section of the M20 is complete and the Northern section is well underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

is the mallow by-pass defo going ahead ? thought i heard that it was put off now for a while..if so, that will not help mallow.
    where in Mallow are the proposed sites for Ikea.. old beet factory was one, but roads are not great around there

Carrrigtwohill would be ahead, as the Amgen site in beside the main road, alot of the site is cleared, infrastructure is there.. rail line running along side the site, platform could be put in easily.

Have Ikea said anything ?

scuby wrote: »
    is the mallow by-pass defo going ahead ? thought i heard that it was put off now for a while..if so, that will not help mallow.
    where in Mallow are the proposed sites for Ikea.. old beet factory was one, but roads are not great around there

Carrrigtwohill would be ahead, as the Amgen site in beside the main road, alot of the site is cleared, infrastructure is there.. rail line running along side the site, platform could be put in easily.

Have Ikea said anything ?

I haven't heard anything about the by-pass not going ahead, but that is linking the Cork/Mallow road to the Dublin road. The new motorway is going from Cork to Limerick and the beet factory site is right next to this road with easy access on and off the site.

Proof of asshat kite-flying? Absolutely. ;)

Passed the Motorway guy's doing a survey on the Mallow road today by rathduff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Passed the Motorway guy's doing a survey on the Mallow road today by rathduff

Yeah I saw them too.

This would be brilliant for Mallow, even just for jobs alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

The old Beet factory in Mallow will probably be the location easy acces to and from the new motorway proposed and ideal for anyone traveling for Cork, Limerick and Kerry. As Mallow is the crossroads to Munster.

Thats a good point They could even have an "IKEA train."

The Beet factory would be a good place, but they have been trying to redevelop it since it closed to no avail. Remember "Mallow west"?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

I know that Mitchelston are try to get it with there central location just of the M8! They are also trying to use the aldi distribution entre in there favour which is just located off the Mitchelstown relief road!

• Advertisement

cooltown wrote: »
    I know that Mitchelston are try to get it with there central location just of the M8! They are also trying to use the aldi distribution entre in there favour which is just located off the Mitchelstown relief road!

Lack of road infrastructure to/from Limerick would make Mitchelstown a definite no no

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Hogzy wrote: »
    Lack of road infrastructure to/from Limerick would make Mitchelstown a definite no no
    I know but Mitchelstown has better road lead up to it from Tipperary, Waterford, Kilkenny also it is only a 60 minute drive from Laois.
    Ikea could be located just of the relief road so it would cause no traffic in the town centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Interesting. What is it about Ikea that makes people go to Dublin to buy the stuff? I wonder what effect it would have on local business in the Cork area?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

overmantle wrote: »
    Interesting. What is it about Ikea that makes people go to Dublin to buy the stuff? I wonder what effect it would have on local business in the Cork area?

Well, for me it's my bookshelves... I got the first set of them when I was 15 living in Germany. I'm 36 now, the shelves have moved with me around 10 times and still look as good as new (ok, the wood is now darker, but other than that, they're fine), no scratching, no sagging from the weight of the books, no wobbling, nothing. And I went up to Dublin when IKEA opened to buy another much-needed addition to them.

For €45 a shelving uint, I'd like to see others do the same... ;)

One example would be the induction hob they have on special at the moment.

My ceramic hob at home is cracked so I specced these out and decided that the only decent options were an Indesit at €450 or a Hotpoint at €550; both of which were probably too pricey given that some pots and pans would have to be replaced too. Then IKEA bought up a rake of a very close equivalent to the ideal one, selling at €299. That's a massive saving, and I picked up a set of excellent pots and pans for just over €100 too. In previous visits I picked up a very large kitchen table for €50 on special offer, and a bed from their bargain corner for €150.

When you're furnishing an entire house, you can't ignore the price, particularly when you know you're getting quality stuff. It's unfortunate that local businesses are affected by it, but I do try to buy local when it's feasible. The big exception being the likes of Sony and Currys locally, who have zero respect for customers.

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

dahamsta wrote: »
    One example would be the induction hob they have on special at the moment.

My ceramic hob at home is cracked so I specced these out and decided that the only decent options were an Indesit at €450 or a Hotpoint at €550; both of which were probably too pricey given that some pots and pans would have to be replaced too. Then IKEA bought up a rake of a very close equivalent to the ideal one, selling at €299. That's a massive saving, and I picked up a set of excellent pots and pans for just over €100 too. In previous visits I picked up a very large kitchen table for €50 on special offer, and a bed from their bargain corner for €150.

When you're furnishing an entire house, you can't ignore the price, particularly when you know you're getting quality stuff. It's unfortunate that local businesses are affected by it, but I do try to buy local when it's feasible. The big exception being the likes of Sony and Currys locally, who have zero respect for customers.

adam

Where furniture is concerned, I'm starting to not really care any more, since too many "local" businesses are just radically overpricing their stock.
    We bought a dresser the other day, and we found a style of kitchen furniture. They were all quite obviously by the same producer, but we found different kinds of dressers in the same style in different shops. One of them told us that this particular supplier would bring out new product on a nearly monthly basis, so some shops had older things and others newer ones.
    However, the difference in prices between shops for pretty much the same product was extreme... the lowest we saw was €360, the most expensive one just over €1000!
    There's some ridiculous margins in there...

Advertisement