Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking Of Joining WoW...

Options
  • 31-07-2010 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi guys. Have been thinking of giving WoW a go. I would be starting from scratch so I wondered exactly how many expansions and patches would be needed along with the original game disk?

Obviously I'm going to give the trial a go first, just want to know.

Also, in regards to characters, are there any types I should avoid? What kind of character(s) would you recommend? I suppose I should note I'd prefer my character to be a human of sorts, dunno why, just not that into Elves and stuff!

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

My god. Dont do it!!!!

Its about 18gigs all together. So be prepared for a lot of downloading. A warrior is good for noobs, thats what I picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Leucifer

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    My god. Dont do it!!!!

Its about 18gigs all together. So be prepared for a lot of downloading. A warrior is good for noobs, thats what I picked.

Well that ends that given my connection :p

Leucifer wrote: »
    Well that ends that given my connection :p
    Haha, which game disks do you have? The 18gigs is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

The upcoming expansion, cataclysm, will mean that the original starting area's from level1-60 will be changed and available to all.

I don't know what this means regarding how they will "sell" the game, but possibly itwill mean a different purchasing policy i.e. you might get the wow "normal" free with catacylsm? I'm not sure. Current scheudle for cataclysm release is, if beta testing is the normal 6 months - approx a november release.

If you start now, keep in mind you may be looking at having to buy 3 expansion packs to level to the highest level. Might be worth waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Woulda assumed that they woulda kept the level cap for each expansion??? Can't see them lettin you buy an expansion pack on its own and levelling 1-85 on it. Would mean any that aint been sold basically are gonna be stuck in the bin.

Also if you started now you might get up till 80 for cataclysm and be ready to go them final 5 levels when everyone else is doing it. Will be some that wanna level goblins/worgens at the start but I'd guess the majority will go for getting their main till 85 asap.

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Haha, which game disks do you have? The 18gigs is everything.

I have no disks, thats why I asked how many expansions there are besides the original game disk :P

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Oh, in that case it is going to be a lot of hassle to get into it. Maybe when the ad on is released they wil bring out a new boxset with all of the expansions. It takes ages to download that much.

WoW will greatly eat up your time though. It is quite expensive too, unless you go down the privite server route, but then you end up with a semi working game.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

If you want to get into WoW, do recruit a friend. Easiest and best way to level! I can recruit you if you want ;D
    I play actively and own my own guild.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sure, join wow...

... if you want to lose any semblance of a normal life for a few years :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sure, join wow...

... if you want to lose any semblance of a normal life for a few years :eek:

Yeah, I've heard some real horror stories about it's addictiveness alright, promised myself if it started getting in the way of real life I'd hit the un-install button. Maybe it's safer to stay away :P

• Advertisement

It is seriously addictive mainly because it takes so long to set stuff up, for instance ya spend a few hourse getting a raid together you cant actually walk away.

Yeah, I've heard some real horror stories about it's addictiveness alright, promised myself if it started getting in the way of real life I'd hit the un-install button. Maybe it's safer to stay away :P

They're just weak people who can't stop when they know it's gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Not to dissuade you but WOW in my opinion is 'all or nothing' when you play.

Things dont really get that complicated until you reach the max lvl. Up until then it's mostly about questing and running dungeons.

After 80 however things get serious, you're life becomes consumed with attaining gear and raiding and PVP'ing. Guilds are rife with backstabbing and bitching...you find yourself blowing off real world engagements because up you have to be on at 8pm for a 25man raid(you may not log off until the sun comes up the next day).

The above are minor negatives really, the games awesomeness is really awesome.

For me, World of Warcraft is the most epic game I've ever experienced. No other game I know of has such depth to it...it's as close to an endless game as there is. I quit 6 months ago as I went back to college but I miss it terribly :(

My advice OP:

Dont look for advice, just play and find your own way. The more you learn for yourself the better a player you'll become.

READ READ READ!

The more willing you are to read and study about your class/profession/PvP and raiding skills the quicker you'll see an improvement in your character and skills.

Some essential sites:

www.wowwiki.com
    www.mmo-champion.com
    www.wowhead.com
    WoW
    forums

Go have fun and good luck!

Don't forget elitist jerks.

Advertisement