Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two people taken from the river last night

Options
  • 31-07-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Two people were taken out of the river last night.

One was alive when the rescue services got to him, but the second was not so lucky.

Busy night for the rescue services. Hell of a tough job those guys do, takes a special type of person to do what they do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Here here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

They do an unreal job. I don't think people realise how widespread the problem is. You would never here of people going into the river, unless it turns into an extended search or you happen to know someone involved.

There would surely be some merit in publishing the figures as it might help people to realise the scale of the problem and the work the rescue services do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I doubt they'd ever release official figures about this, unfortunately. The fear of "copy-cats" seems to be the justification for not reporting these incidents. Whether that's a valid reason or not is debatable. Between jumpers and occasional accidents, the rescue services in Limerick tend to have an awful amount of work to do without a fraction of the recognition they deserve.

Of course, people have to be sensitive to the wishes of the families involved in suicide attempts. I don't think the details of individual cases should be turned into front-page news. The news media makes its money off tragedy, but they know not to invade people's privacy (unless there's a celebrity involved). That said, increased publicity could go a long way towards dealing with the issue nation-wide. The number of road-deaths has been addressed with marked success, yet a far bigger cause of death is not being given the attention it requires.

I get upset every time I see/hear the rescue helicopter over Limerick. I don't know how those people do the work they do, it's incredible on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Kess73 wrote: »
    Two people were taken out of the river last night.

One was alive when the rescue services got to him, but the second was not so lucky.

Busy night for the rescue services. Hell of a tough job those guys do, takes a special type of person to do what they do.

Hope people remember that when they do their collections. !

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Only recently found out how often this happens.

Fair play to the rescue lads though. Tough job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    Hope people remember that when they do their collections. !

Them and the Limerick Animal Welfare I always find some extra cash for when I see their collections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tinsop

The Limerick Marine Search and Rescue are great men and all lovely lads as well.They don't get enough recognition for the job they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

They do a great job alright, think I heard before there's usually an increase at this time of the year due to the Galway races (or one that oddly co-incides with the races).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

They do a great job alright, think I heard before there's usually an increase at this time of the year due to the Galway races (or one that oddly co-incides with the races).

They used to have peak times and the like but now it's all the time. My dad is with the search and resue and he was a bit upset yesterday. They try to distance themselves emotionally but sometimes they can't. So I took him for a drink and some lunch cos the truth is the pager is gonna go off tonight. Bunratty search & rescue are the same. Very proud of my dad, he inspired me to study psychiatric nursing. Got my place and start in sept.

Brave man is your dad, a rare breed. He is doing one of the few jobs where everytime he goes to work he puts his own life on the line and also has the chance to either save a life or give a grieving person closure by finding their loved one.

By the sounds of it, you are cut from the same cloth going by the future path you are aiming for. Best of luck with your desired career and fair play for choosing a path where you can make a difference like your dad does in his.

• Advertisement

Thank you that is very sweet :)

I showed my dad the thread (he's a boardsie too) and he was chuffed to hear the good wishes, they don't get a lot of recognition so it was nice to be able to show him that people appreciate what they do thanks again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Another person was rescued alive from the river last night, according to live95fm, thats the 4th incident this week.

I think the government need to talk about this problem, as there is such a stigma with suicide, there are so many people who need help and they are just not getting it.

Well done search + rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

This has always been a problem but it looks as if there is a real upsurge in recent times. Like a lot of problems in Ireland though, it is not talked about, almost as if the problem will go away if we don't acknowledge it.

Yep, rescued by the fire service last night! He was rescued...not recovered thankfully!

smilerxxx wrote: »
    Thank you that is very sweet :)

I showed my dad the thread (he's a boardsie too) and he was chuffed to hear the good wishes, they don't get a lot of recognition so it was nice to be able to show him that people appreciate what they do thanks again guys

Your dad and the rest of the lads should be really proud of the job they do.Unfortunately had reason to meet them through their work.I have to say everyone of them are as nice as the next and so kind and understanding.:)

Munstergirl
    You are so right i posted a thread lately about no resources available,it really is a disgrace the way depression is just passed off from one association to another.Four people a week either rescued or recovered,some still missing..:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Fair play to them.Would there be one a week in Limerick or a blackspot where they are jumping in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Another person was rescued alive from the river last night, according to live95fm, thats the 4th incident this week.

I think the government need to talk about this problem, as there is such a stigma with suicide, there are so many people who need help and they are just not getting it.

Well done search + rescue.

its a shame there is this stigma associated with mental illness, I read somewhere that County Limerick has the highest rates of deliberate self-harm in Ireland. Attitudes need to change so people wont be afraid to seek help. Even little things like changing the name of the psychiatric unit at the Regional to counter the stigma and shame Unit 5B has become laden with. 'He/she is a 5B case' is frequently used as a derogatory insult, the only ward in the hospital which is known as a unit!
    Its sad to see that more people die by suicide than road traffic accidents here.

bigpink wrote: »
    Fair play to them.Would there be one a week in Limerick or a blackspot where they are jumping in?

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/another-river-rescue-by-limerick-fire-service/8b4a37b2-7fe6-427a-b546-6ab5f85a6e63

4 alone in past 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Thought this was a reprise of a thread a few months ago which was nearly identical. Shocking stuff.

This week has been busy, but I would say the pager goes off once a week. Limerick has a lot of bridges and rivers so no matter where you live really you have access to one. At weekends they stay in the centre overnight (they rotate it evry week cos they all have full time jobs as well) They can be in the water in a couple of minutes as they have just refurbished the centre so they can launch there and then. The pagers go off as soon as the 999 goes in and the rest of the team leave their homes and are there in 5 minutes. So as well as a team on site they have everyone on call to help as well. They were only able to launch from the centre due to the kindness of donations..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

bigpink wrote: »

Most has been 10 in the one week & that was a ****e week to be working. Usually get a couple a week. As OP's have said depression/suicidal tendencies is a big problem we're facing (don't know if it's down to the recession) or not but the power's that be don't seem to want to know. What alot of members of the public don't know is that if we take a person to the hospital with suicidal tendencies & they have drink on them, then the psych team won't deal with them. They have to have no drink in them first which results in creating other issues but that's for another discussion.

buzzman wrote: »
    Most has been 10 in the one week & that was a ****e week to be working. Usually get a couple a week. As OP's have said depression/suicidal tendencies is a big problem we're facing (don't know if it's down to the recession) or not but the power's that be don't seem to want to know. What alot of members of the public don't know is that if we take a person to the hospital with suicidal tendencies & they have drink on them, then the psych team won't deal with them. They have to have no drink in them first which results in creating other issues but that's for another discussion.

10 in one week must be really hard on those trying to save them. The knock on effect on the rescue teams must be very tough. I think I will never tire of stating my respect and admiration for the guys and girls who risk their lives each and every week around the country to save others.

The issues with people with suicidal urges being overlooked and often ignored is one I am familiar with though. I had a relative take his own life just over a year ago, and the first time he tried it to end it he was taken from a river by a rescue team, but was refused access to certain help due to there being alcohol in his system. He was then released before any family members were contacted to say which hospital he was at.

The fact he had been to a hospital and had made that first attempt only became known hours later after he had made a second attempt and succeeded with it. His wife got the call about the first attempt and, as to what hospital he was to be collected from, hours after the gardai had come to the house to inform her that he was dead from the second attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

& there lies the failing of the system Kess, you've seen first hand the ****e that goes on.

On a different note,

You'd be amazed at how many times we're called to someone & people seem to think that we can force treatment on them or force them into the ambulance to take them to hospital. Once they are over 18, if they tell me to leave them alone, I have no choice but to obey their wishes. Goes against everything we're trained for but no choice in the matter.

Advertisement